Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stand hunting with a Muzzy

SCOFFIN

Miles Coffin
Just have a question for you guys that Muzzleloader hunt from a stand. I'm curious if you use shooting sticks at all or not. This is my first year doing it and thought it might be to my advantage to pick up a set to have with me for those longer shots. Then if you do use them do you shoot standing or sitting?

I always say that if you can make yourselve more steady the better. Better make the one shot count. I use a bipod for muzzy hunting to ensure the crosshairs are steady on his shoulder. sitting is by far more steeady imo

When I'm sitting in a treestand I love my Primos trigger stick (monopod). It is extremely moblie if you have to swing around and shoot, also the adjustment is very quick and also very quiet. Sweet little accessory for gun hunting out of a treestand. If you are going to be on the ground I would recommend the Bipod or even the tripod models. I think it is crucial to have a solid rest :way:

I muzz hunt from a stand often but it didn't take me long to figure out that my bipod, which attaches to my sling swivel, doesn't work well. Most stands are too small and I have to put them on my feet. I would suggest a shooting rail. Big Game makes the one I use and it's not difficult at all to pack in and set up. It's pretty solid, too.

I bought mine from Gander Mountain.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe..._Shooting_Rail&str=shooting+rail&merchID=4005

I use the big game shooting rail also, just take it to the stand with me, pull it up on a bow rope, install it, then pull up my gun on another rope. They're like 40 bucks a pop so I don't want to buy one for all of my stands.

I use a monopod on my LW that I made a special adapter for so it fits right in the grating. Essentially I epoxied, then duct taped two hooks on each side of the monopod that will fit snug on the grating of the stand. Works slick in theory. Never actually used it yet. I always hang my stands facing away from where the deer will most likely come out so that way I can use the tree as my shooting rest.

I made my own shooting sticks out of 2 large dowels bolted together with a machine screw, washers and a wing nut. Then put heater hose over the ends to quiet it down. It doubles as a walking stick but it's too tall for a treestand. I usually use my "ez hanger" or tree limbs to shoot from in the stand. I also try to set my stands so the tree is between me and the deer.

Top Bottom