Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stand Placement

shooter72

I was curious if any of you have experience hunting open pastures and draws with very little tree cover. There is one tree that I was going to put a tree stand on, but it is in the open. With this in mind, I am unsure how I would hunt the area, such as what type of wind to hunt and so forth. Does anyone have advice for hunting open plans?

It is an Oak tree. There is some cover, but not as much as I would typically want as far as cover. There are trails running on the east and west side of the tree roughly 20-30 yards away. They both run north/south. what type of wind would you hunt in this situation?

If it is realitively flat terain & I could get up over 18' with some leaf cover in a sturdy tree, with suitable weather conditions (meaning no High dew point, mist or light rain), I would hunt it with any wind with the exception if it were blowing towards the area you expect them to come from at that time of day. I'd hunt it in a heart beat. I LOVE sneaky spots! I would hang a stand there now & wacth the activity from a distance early on then move in for the kill....good luck.

We have hunted an open pasture a few times. A couple knarley oaks to put a tree in. The deer would chase does or come from area to area and cross in the corner of the pasture. My buddy came close a couple times, but never connected. He never did get picked off though. Go for it!!

If you think it is a great spot...give it a go. Just make sure the wind is good.
thumbsup.gif

Top Bottom