Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

State Nursery May Not Sell Red Cedar Next Year

Nontypcl1

I just got off the phone with a forester at the state nursery and he mentioned that they may not be selling red cedar next year. He said the decision hasn't been finalized yet but it was being considered because of recent disease problems and high losses. I believe they are trying to clean up stock by leaving the cedars out for a year or two.

That being said, I am looking for another source, preferably local, for red cedar. In case the state nursery doesn't carry them next year does anyone know of a quality source for red cedar at a fair price?

Because of low production red cedar, one of our most popular species, is only available in the Wildlife Cover Bundle.

Found this in the MDC 2010-2011 nursery catalog, any word if they will have cedar available in 2012?

Not 100% local, but I am sure they will grow great in Iowa...North Central Reforestation out of Minnesota (west central MN) near my hometown. I have heard very good reports on their cedars. Larger size and reasonable price.

Not the exact topic but how many trees can be planted in a day with a tree planter? I am thinking about some this fall and have never planted anything of quantinty before.

I have an uncle down in oklahoma that would be thrilled to have someone clear his cedars off.. I guess they are a nuisance down there.. all you want for free.. just have to dig them up and haul them a long arse ways ;) all kidding aside, would it be legal to just dig them up out of the ditch? There are little baby ones everywhere around here in the ditches

This past spring I took cedars out of ditches that were from 6" to 2'. It was early when the ground was saturated and I could easily pull them out and not have to dig a hole in the county ditch. They transplanted with great success.

As far as cedars being a nuisance they are almost an invasive weed here in NE. The NRCS has an incentive program for landowners to clear them out of their pastures. I have personnally cleared hundreds of acres in the past 15 years to show my appreciation to the landowners for letting me hunt their land. One about started crying(for joy) when he saw what I had started to do. I just recleared 300 acres a couple weeks ago after the landowner called me up to see if I would come back and clean all the little ones up that had started to come back in the past 5 years. (I moved 100 miles away 5 years ago)

Clearing cedars is almost theraputic for me:grin: plus it is great exercise.

The lady did just call back saying they will have cedars available if you order the pheasant packet, but that's the only way they will sell them. Looks like we'll have to plant a bunch of spruces and see how hungry the deer get this winter...

All mine died as well and was hoping for a replant this fall.... :(

Approx 50% of mine died and I was credited for the 250 over the phone. However, it looks like I will have to put that credit towards something besides cedars. I was also told they don't lift any cedars for fall plantings.

Iowa State Nursery was one of the least expensive but take a look at the 1st page of the tree Planting thread for a list of alternative nurseries

Tree Planting

As Skip mentioned Coldstream is a great source as is Kelly Tree Farm and a host of others...;)

Top Bottom