Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stickers My First Deer

Greekhawk

Let me start off by saying I'm sorry for the long story here but this is my first time and hopefully you will see the signifcance. Last year I was introduced to deer hunting and bow hunting mostly because of my cousin. I decided to purchase a bow and give it a shot while working full time going to school full time and a laundry list of other things. Any way I went out last year without any luck at all. I hardly saw anything, and nothing close enough to shoot at. With that year come and gone and the 2010 season rapidly approaching I made it my mission to get a deer I didn't care doe, or buck, large or small. I just wanted to shoot something. With the end of Novemeber rapidly approaching and haveing bad luck again I called up my cousin and asked if he could help. The first time out I got buck fever and missed a nice 9 pointer and spooked a huge 12. The next time out long head on shot at a doe. Nothing was going my way then I said I have one more chance and that was the monday before thanksgiving. we went out and had a real nice broadside shot at a small doe so I took it. She went running and that was the best rush I had ever felt. se we climed down and followed the blood trail and then the dark fell and it started pooring. I went to work that night thinking I would never find that deer. as soon as I got off in the morning my cousin and I went back out and it felt like we didnt leave a rock un turned by this time I was in the dumps, even worse then when I didn't see anything. Then Shotgun season came I was asked to go to west central Iowa with a buddy earlier in the year. I was really down but I wanted to give it a valliant effort. The morning came and I saw one doe that ducked behind a hill before i could get a shot off. A couple hours later Bang from off in the distance as I finished my route I found my buddies dad pearched atop a large fallen down oak tree with the largest smile I have ever seen. I asked did you get one? Yep sure did he replied, and then helped him drag it out of the water. I was real happy for him but deep down inside I was wanting it to be mine. The morning went and the afternoon came. I went across the river with my buddies dad and sat there waiting a long time passed then up on the ridge line I saw a buck Immediately I started shaking, as he made his way down the ridge I placed a shot I didn't realize I hit him untill I saw him back atop the ridge. then he went back the way he came and Bang I heard a shot from my buddies father, with the largest smile on my face he came up and said hes hurt bad. With darkness closing in we decided to comb the valley he went in and found nothing. I was thinking to my self the whole night it was going to end up the way that doe did and we will ot be able to find him. The morning came, 2 miles away from the timber my buddy tags his doe with his truck. Made me laugh but my heart was still set on my deer. We finally comed the valley again and the same result as last time nothing. I decided that I would go find the blood trail for myself and see what happens. Long story short Two of the guys walked within three feet of him the night before and I found my first Buck. And I named him stickers because of the thorns I found him in.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Great job buddy. Too bad we couldnt find the doe, though. Like wymer said, highs of highs, lows of lows. At least we got it on film. Congrats!

Top Bottom