Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Still in Rut???

webbosky

I live on the Minnesota/Iowa border around the I-35 area. Just wondering if anyone has been seeing the bucks still chasing this week. I haven't had time to get out an scout. Thanks!

O ya, I went out this morning in Northwest Iowa and had a 140 class buck running 5 does!!! Almost had a shot at him but never would stop for me!!

I would say definitely also, drove home Sunday afternoon and saw two different bucks locked down with does in cut fields along I-80, also my Father in Law has been seeing plenty of action the last week, actually said it is the best it has been all year.

Kratz

The Game is still on. I was out last night and saw two nice bucks running does last night early and a big dog right at dark thirty running two does.

I'm a little further south but here in central Iowa, it's alive and well. Good amount of chasing and a few small fights tonight. Starting to see less of the large bucks and am guessing they are bedding with single does but they'll be around when they're looking for a new girlfriend. Lots of small to intermediate bucks hanging out in the open with does right now.

Me and my brother headed out last night and saw a 155" a pointer cruising down in IL (We are straight across from Burlington, IA on the IL side). Anyhow, buck was completely out of it still and on a mission for a dow, my brother needed him to stop to get an arrow in him but couldn't get him too.

KRatz

In my neck of the woods, saw an end to chasing last week, even young bucks gone. Possibly dogs on my land were to blame?

Hey Kratz while you were across in Gulfport did you stop at any of the quality bars? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I was out just north of Burlington for an all day sit and saw the 2 monsters of our property cruising, its still alive and well. Can't wait to go after 'em with a gun next weekend.

ooo boy lets not start on gulfport!!! youre lucky to have that area to hunt kratz!!! perfect area. i hunt in wever iowa. not far from there. big buck central

Didn't make it to Gulfport's bar scene, my butt was too tired after some near all day sits. Maybe this weekend however /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

sofakingfast_1 the area is awesome, we have a shade over 400 acres there and it is big buck country. This year we haven't seen as many deer but a few bruisers are running around, I think it may be due to the lack of water on our farm, we don't have a drop and therefore I think the neighbors ground with ponds are getting hit a bit harder.

KRatz

Do you hunt on the north or south side of highway 34? after you go through burlington, then cross the bridge heading towards gulfport, right there on the south side of the road theres a picked corn field before you get to the stoplight. there has been a very VERY nice buck there recently. i see him on my way to work around 7:30 almost every morning. surprises me hes still around because of the shotgun season pressure last weekend.he very mature must not want to leave the area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GregBickal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anybody think they will still be in Rut by Start of Shotgun Saturday Dec 1st? </div></div>

Not really sure how best to answer your question but I will try.

"In Rut" is a pretty general expression for the whitetail breeding period. Bucks will breed does anytime in the Fall and into late Winter, this could mean September through March.

Peak breeding occurred in mid-November but there are still does that will/can come into estrus on into December. Lots of younger does that were missed during peak breeding may/will come into heat in mid-December.

The highest percentage of does have already been breed, but, yes, it is very possible to see bucks chasing does on into December.

Every area will be a little different based on the age class of your bucks and does, as well as the buck to doe ratio in your area.

Good luck!

i agree with what Ghost said here, but if you are wondering if rut hunting tactics might still be valid here are some thoughts......

if you plan on stand hunting in a low pressure area, id definately try some rattling and or calling. last year i killed a small buck i rattled in on the last day of bowseason before 1st shotgun season. like Ghost said it greatly depends on age class, buck to doe ratio, and finding the right buck in the wrong mood!!

but, unfortunatly areas like that hardly exist in Iowa during shotgun season. the deer will be running everywhere and may not be interested in calling, or at least not enough to investigate.

good luck!!

I was wondering if it would be too late to use some scent lures. Whats better, to smell human, or a doe in estrus /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom