Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stinkin' DOGS!!!!!! Question!?!?

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I love dogs more than anyone BUT I do not love them when for THREE weeks- EVERY SINGLE NIGHT they are running deer. Same two dogs, they are making the deer as crazy as I am getting. They are driving me INSANE. Left a note at a possible owner's house BUT not even sure if they are his.

What would you do? What can I do? OBVIOUSLY some answers are pretty obvious and some might be pretty creative. I have had it with these things, I mean I am at the end of my rope!!!!! I have NEVER shot one in my life BUT like I said- I am at the end of my ropes with these things. Thoughts/suggestions???!?!??!???

First question are they on your ground? Second question are they in range? There is a first time for everything. Sounds like repeat offenders, IMO let em eat. Shoot, its to cold for shoveling and silence.

Do they have collars Skip?

I had to shoot some awhile back that were wild. A female had a whole litter of pups, rasied them and they hunted like a pack of wolves.

Several neighbors and I managed to bury a few of them but some may have grown wiser and still be around.

if they have collars then they most likely belong to someone and that's a little touchier situation... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I like dogs but will not tolerate them running deer I had this happen to me a few years back, I told the farmer about it and was told take care of the problem,there is only one way too stop this,Nobody has to no but you,,,,,

iw.l_header.jpg
398ibalogo_1_.gif

PMA Memberships and IBA Memberships & Renewals

hoofline.gif

I have a poll on this subject that I put together maybe a year ago. I have not posted it because some might think it a controversial subject? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

Let me look it over again…………../forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Perhaps I will post it in the PMA Conference. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

hoofline.gif

[email protected]

The only thing worse than a deer running dog is the owner of one. But you can't get rid of the owner. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif
I've had a couple on my hit list for several years now, just haven't had a chance yet.

First thing to do is not post it here and just remedy the situation. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I'd first ask around just to give a warning to keep their dogs in. Get a .270 and let it eat next time the dogs go running through.

I carry my 22-250 alot right now looking for a brown and white "coyote". That thing walked up to a friend and his young son (in a stand) during 1st gun season and growled at them. He (the dog) walked away and came back an hour later chasing three does. My friend didn't know if he could/should shoot so he didn't. I wish he would have, that dog has ruined a couple more hunts but won't get in range of me.

It will not get better for you, the owner knows the dog is running and doesn't care.

High velocity lead poison is the only cure I know that works.

Yes, they are on my land. Every night I might add. I don't see collars BUT I am trying to talk to neighbors. I have not shot one and won't unless I am sure they are not anyones.

I think the only way I could shoot one is while i am hunting, not sure if I could walk up on one or not.

If they are wild dogs and on my land every night- I am legal to shoot one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they are wild dogs and on my land every night- I am legal to shoot one? </div></div>

YES.

soak some deer meat in antifreeze that always does the trick... the dog will not be found with a hole in it so they wont suspect anything but he got sick.. i dont like to do it but when they run deer like that it really gets me going. had to do it a couple times works pretty good

if they are on your land, chasing game, you are legal to shoot them, period, wild or not.

i have the same issue with one of my neighbors. i told him a long time ago, his dogs were out running game. he thinks all they are doing is running coyotes. he is building a house, and moving away soon, and that is the only thing saving his dogs. i've found them over a mile from his house numerous times.

i believe teeroy is right you can legally shoot them for molesting game.right now dogs could run down deer that are already run down from the rut and from the cold icy weather.
but i hate to have to shoot a dog especially since it is the dog owners fault not really the dogs.

Call the local Humane Society. If they can catch them, usually the dog owners will have to pay $$$ to get them out of the pound!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">soak some deer meat in antifreeze that always does the trick... the dog will not be found with a hole in it so they wont suspect anything but he got sick.. i dont like to do it but when they run deer like that it really gets me going. had to do it a couple times works pretty good </div></div>

Call me the fun spoiler if you will. I've got a dog, used to have two. I'd have absolutely no problem putting a bullet in a dog that needed one. However, I wouldn't use the antifreeze trick and destroy the kidneys of any animal that happened to eat some of it. Like I said, I'd gladly put a bullet in a nuisnace dog but not sure it is fair to any animal to let them die a slow agonizing death. Even the dogs in ?...a real problem are just dogs and they don't know better, even they don't deserve to die a suffering death. JMO

Top Bottom