Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stoping Poachers

It seems this time of year brings about an increase in the number of people driving around rural gravel roads at dusk/dawn periods and late at night looking to poach deer and other game animals. My question is: What do you guys do to help deter these morons from doing so? I realize planting a screen along the road is the best, but this is not always possible. I appreciate all the Warden's do, but they are spread so thin that they have a hard time covering the areas they are assigned. I understand the importance of TIP and will use that whenever possible. Just thought I might get some ideas outside the box that people have used to succesfully catch some of these theives.

Not everyone is out to poach, most people like myself, are just looking at deer. The corn being in this year will help curb the poaching quite a bit. About the only way to stop it on your place is build a screen with either trees or hay bales. Goodluck!!

Dwilk is the majority of the problem.. All he does is drive around.. :grin:

All jokes aside.. This last weekend I was in stand a good hour before sunlight on Sunday morning and heard 3 gunshots ring out well before light was even close to legal (for ducks). Always makes me wonder whats going on..

This last weekend I was in stand a good hour before sunlight on Sunday morning and heard 3 gunshots ring out well before light was even close to legal (for ducks). Always makes me wonder whats going on..

If your in SW Iowa, thats apparently how you bow hunt. Every day right at daylight and every night close to dark I'll hear 20-30 different rifle shots.

My buddy found a 190 about 20 yards off the road with a huge hole in it. All that they took was the loins. he repoorted it to the dnr and they didnt get any leads on it...IDIOTS!

I seen a deer out pheasant hunting last weekend with a hole in its side and no head on it. I called the CO and waited for him to get there and he said that it was the 3rd one he got a call on that that week.

One thing I like to do is if you are driving around yourself, going home or whatever, and you see a vehicle that looks suspicous(don't recognize it, driving real slow, stopped, you know the signs) is to slow down myself near them and see who it is. If you know the area real well and most of the people and don't recognize someone try and talk to them, see what they're up to, how their hunting this year is. I've done this a few times with people taht I didn't recognize. I had strong suspicons something was up. Doing this just lets them know that they are being watched and makes them uncomfortable.

My local CO told me he wanted a call anytime someone found a suspected poached deer. He said if nothing else he might be able to recover a bullet from the carcass and use it to charge somebody down the road. Same one told me a couple years ago he was helping out in southern Iowa and actually watched a guy poach 2 does from the road in front of him. He busted that guy who started blabing about his buddies poaching and ended up with 4 or 5 different arrests that night. I asked him what people were poaching and he said everything, does, turkeys, little bucks and big ones.

Top Bottom