Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stopping TRESSPASSERS! Frustration!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
So I watch my ground super close- I wish I didn't have to!!! In most areas around me a guy can knock on a door to get permission. I give some folks permission and those who are NOT supposed to be out there know it pretty easily.

I still find boot marks, catch the occasional guy and find stuff from tresspassers (a stool, hat, etc this year). If someone knows no one wants them on there and they are sneaking on, it just continues to boggle me why they would do it, especially when many around would let them hunt if asked!?!?!? It drives me nuts! (Kind of like the dogs runnind deer daily did!!).

What do you do to stop this? Any creative suggestions that aren't the obvious? Any tips? Does this drive you nuts as well?!?! Someone could spend every second worrying about it and walking their border BUT that would stink and take the enjoyment out- not about to go crazy and overboard about it BUT want to do some more things. Thoughts, suggestions, experience any of the same things?

*I gate everything, drive around when I get a chance, watch/listen close, have trail cams up, posted, people know who does and does not have permission, etc, etc.

I am a firm believer that no matter what you do, some people will tresspass. I just picked up a brand new climber stand that someone left in my buddy's timber Sunday. Also found three other ladder stands that don't belong, will get those this week. I have no idea how to stop people from being A-holes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a firm believer that no matter what you do, some people will tresspass. </div></div>

Sadly, I have to agree...it's darn near impossible to completely insure no one will tresspass.

You can put up signs every 50 ft but some people will still take the risk, after all how much is it really going to cost them?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Walking out this morning I saw boot track that had been made in the mud and now frozen coming out of my place...so don't feel like the loneranger... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Find yourself a local Deputy that hunts and give him some access in exchange for an extra eye. I've seen that work very well.

Your welcome Timekiller.....

Or find yourself a local firefighter who has a bunch of friends that are cops. That can work well also. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Have you ever caught anybody on trailcam pics? If so, ever followed through with it and got the law involved? Make a rep for yourself as one who's all business. Also, if you're not shotgunning, be there in your vehicle or 4 wheeler riding your fences while wearing an orange vest of your own. This alone has helped us to keep a lot of people off and I think it trickles down to other times of the year if the same people are involved.

If i had to guess you're probably talking about the Green Bay bottoms land. Growing up i was always told that was public land since there was public signs posted and 2 public boat ramps on each end of it. I never did hunt it but i heard of alot of people who mushroom hunted it. Mostly the people who live down around there. You would think they would get a clue now that theres NO TRESSPASSING signs every 20 ft. Haha. Ill keep my eye open when im cruising along there chasing catfish.

Put up some orange vests in the timber where they can be seen and maybe park a vehicle in the gate hole when you can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: River Bttm Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find yourself a local Deputy that hunts and give him some access in exchange for an extra eye. I've seen that work very well.

Your welcome Timekiller.....

</div></div>

That's a great idea!

I have the same problem on a piece of ground that I hunt on. It's prime ground and only one other person has permission to hunt. However, every Sunday when the landowner goes to church, his DB neighbors head to his timber. They don't wear orange, which doesn't bother me so much, but its about 3 guys walking with one guy driving around the section to pick them up at various points. I've called the law, but by the time they drive out, the guys have been picked up. The other landowners in the area hate these white trash folks as well, and have contacted the law various times. The worst part is that we've been told that they take racks to Kansas City to sell to people. Anyway, our next step is putting a letter in their mail box stating that bad things happen to poachers. I've already jammed a screwdriver into a radiator of theirs. Good times down here where the hoot owls roost with the chickens.

The public land that I hunt adjoins a small peice of land that is a honey hole. Signs are posted every 20 feet, blaze orange on the trees. Everytime you get close to the deer, they run for that land. Through purposly cut holes in the fence. I don't and won't trespass.

My buddy worked the public land all morning one day of Late Muzzy. Probably walking a couple of miles. Around lunchtime we left and went home for lunch. The landowner came down to the public land to meet us at our vehicles. Asked if we had seen any bucks. We had not even seen a single deer. He said I was a nice guy and all but make sure and not to trespass.

Like I said, I wont trespass, but it frustrates me that this private landowner is able to set up food plots, cut fences in key spots, and basically control the movement of the deer on the public land. Good for him, but bad for those of us that hunt this public ground.

I think there should be a fence between public hunting ground and private high enough that deer can't jump it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GregBickal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I think there should be a fence between public hunting ground and private high enough that deer can't jump it. </div></div>

So you want to high fence all public ground. I have shot some nice bucks coming off privet land onto public. Find a new place to hunt!

Does anyone NOT have any problems with tresspassers? I am not saying it's everyday on my land but far more than I am cool with (none is all I'm cool with). Anyone not run into this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone NOT have any problems with tresspassers? I am not saying it's everyday on my land but far more than I am cool with (none is all I'm cool with). Anyone not run into this? </div></div>

Pretty sure if you don't have a problem you just don't know it. It really sucks to do all the work on a piece of property only to have some dumb a$$ trespass on your ground. We had problems in the past, a few calls to the authorities and a crazy guy driving a truck through 6ft. tall CRP at 45mph running a few of them off has greatly diminished the problem.

My only suggestion is next time you catch one on your property, ensure that you get his info. and the cops get there to ticket him. Coming off as the a-hole yourself is one of the most effective methods of reducing trespassers

Those blaze orange vests would be enough to deter me from trespassing. Cheap and effective; it would keep me out if I was tempted.

After what I have seen and heard for the last few years, especially this year doesn't really matter what you do. Even if you are in your stand and people tresspass and they tell you they are going to hunt your land whether you like it or not. By the time the DNR gets there they will have done the damage and then the DNR won't take your word(landowners) for it, or they just plain and simple don't want to deal with it. So its basically no use, just pray and hope it doesn't happen too much I guess. Good Luck!

tell the DNR incharge of the public land that their fences have been cut. if you high fence all the public land, how will you get any deer in there after they have all been shot? come on

Hey Cottonfoot, I'm assuming you are talking about one deer and one situation in particular. Not to hijack this thread, but can you give an update on this whole deal? I'm just curious because I've heard more rumors lately and I don't know what to believe. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it here.

I also bring a camera with me, run into someone and take pictures of them, vehicle and plates. Give that to DNR and it works, totally forgot that.

Lastly, I have an old coal mine on my place that I put bodies in of repeat tresspassers, several of the tresspassers on my land have ended up on "Unsolved Mystery's" tv show. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you want to high fence all public ground. I have shot some nice bucks coming off privet land onto public. </div></div>
I don't want high fences, but allowing the neighboring property owners to have a monoply on those deer is unfair, specially when they are only interested in bucks and I want to shot does. This all goes back to the discussion on managing the deer herd. I have seen this happen first hand last year during first season shotgun. That private land owner and his buddies go party hunt the public land first.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find a new place to hunt!</div></div>
After my frustration that day I called the parents of a girl who is in my daughters class and got permission to hunt their 400+ acres. My friend and I both got deer within an hour of being on their property.

I guess what I am trying to say is, why do people trespass, and I think think the answer is because deer populations on those private lands are very tempting, abviously more tempting than on public land. So how can you make public hunting more tempting.

I know this is a wacky idea, but what if you could go hunt public land that was fenced in and managed like an outfitter does.

Top Bottom