Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Straightwallers

You make it sound like a howitzer.

Honestly I don't see how it could be any more deadly than a muzzle loader shooting the same bullet at nearly the same velocity or a 3" shotgun slug flinging a 385 grain saboted slug at 1900fps+. Any of the three kills them just as dead.

U might be correct. I’m having a little fun but it did really leave me with ringing ears. It was the follow up shots (on dead deer standing) that did my ears in. But- the ported barrel too - i think those really add to noise. In all fairness - I don’t think that stuff is an issue at all- just something to think about and wear hearing protection. I’ll admit- I’m the idiot & at fault for these ringing ears.

*it reminded me of my time in Vietnam- manning the fox holes with some new grunts. Taking orders from top brass- we did what we had to do. Lead flying and howiterz & m-60 actually being a weapon of choice along with the few grenades & mortors we had left. How do I get these nightmares to stop now?!? My buddy just made me relive it all!! ;)

I use Hornady Leverevolution ammo in my 45/70 guide gun. Cycles great and is very accurate. Smoked one coyote. Super fun to shoot, never got a shot at a deer I felt comfortable with in a spot I felt like dragging out of.

U might be correct. I’m having a little fun but it did really leave me with ringing ears. It was the follow up shots (on dead deer standing) that did my ears in. But- the ported barrel too - i think those really add to noise. In all fairness - I don’t think that stuff is an issue at all- just something to think about and wear hearing protection. I’ll admit- I’m the idiot & at fault for these ringing ears.

*it reminded me of my time in Vietnam- manning the fox holes with some new grunts. Taking orders from top brass- we did what we had to do. Lead flying and howiterz & m-60 actually being a weapon of choice along with the few grenades & mortors we had left. How do I get these nightmares to stop now?!? My buddy just made me relive it all!! ;)

Yes, the porting can.make things a lot louder. I did notice that a friend of mine was wearing a set of electronic hearing protection muff this year when we hunted together. He said that he enjoyed them because they amplify the ambient sounds and let him hear better while cancelling out the hearing damaging noise of a gun blast.

I'm working on putting together a 450 AR platform gun for next year. Have most of what I need under the tree :) Regardless of the previous debate the new regs are here and I have decided to embrace them. I have never owned an AR and find learning about them fun and exciting. I don't intend to be out there spraying bullets as many on here claim to fear but I am looking forward to a much more accurate platform than the slug gun I've used the last 20+ years.

I know many use muzzle loaders during shotgun season for the increased accuracy but I have always preferred the ability to shoot more than one shot both for follow up shots if needed or the opportunity to take more than one deer what the opportunity arises.

I do hunt a lot of public land and am sure there will be people who will look at me in confusion carrying a "military assault rifle!" Into the woods. Bottom line I don't see the AR platform as "evil" it's just another semiautomatic gun like a shotgun or any other semiautomatic rifle. The only difference is the possibility of having more ammo in the magazine. To be honest that doesn't really matter to me and I would not care if there were magazine capacity limits of say 5 shells on all weapons.

Agree. If this last weapon change stayed- not going to be make or break to anyone. I’m not overly worried about what it will do to the hunting landscape. I am worried about the “next round” of new weapons or seasons that WILL BE proposed. This last bill emboldens special interests to push for new seasons and regs that are all about the $, “sound good”, but have no care or regard for the resource.

I will say too- I’ve owned AR’s for a while and really enjoy them. Yep- here to stay. My real concern with these new weapons on the books.... I would venture to guess access to use these new weapons is worse off than last year. I’d bet my extra kidney that next year the access will be worse off than this year. For a lot of reasons. I do think that there will be some farmers that show up and see the big groups shooting at running deer with AR’s and say “that’s it, no more”. I’m NOT saying I agree or disagree with these farmers, but, I’d very strongly suspect it will increasingly happen (& I guess to include my bias: no, I wouldn’t allow it on my farms & haven’t ever allowed deer drives period). Even the last 5-10 years with big groups with shotguns I’ve seen this trend for lack of access. AR’s will add to this trend. I predict access will continue to dwindle, folks will further protect their ground from “new regulations and seasons” that get rammed through and all that these new ideas and regulation changes will do - reduce access for The everyday hunter. More reasons as well but - loss of access & crazy regulations & liberalizing the seasons will go hand in hand.

In the mean time - yep- I love ar’s.... love to see what y’all put together, what Bullet choices u use and how your experience goes. One thing I’ve never done with AR’s is reloading but that’s one new thing I wanna learn and try. (And no tripling The powder like my shotgun reloading in middle school!!! ;) )

What kind of accuracy are the folks getting that are building these.450 bushmasters on an AR platform? Any better than the 45/70? I actually like the looks of the lever action 45/70s and also the bolt action style of the.450 by ruger over the AR look, but if these AR builds are far superior that might convince me to also build one. Let's hear some pros and cons

From what I've been told by 2 people with the AR Bushmasters anything under 200 doesn' stand a chance and it performs well out to 250 for sure and they hadn't tested it further

What kind of accuracy are the folks getting that are building these.450 bushmasters on an AR platform? Any better than the 45/70? I actually like the looks of the lever action 45/70s and also the bolt action style of the.450 by ruger over the AR look, but if these AR builds are far superior that might convince me to also build one. Let's hear some pros and cons

Ive got a 20" Bushmaster brand .450 with a 1-8× scope and its a ridiculously good shooter with factory Hornady ammo. Sighted it in off a leadsled and the final 3 shot 100yd group was one wallowed out hole you could cover with a nickel.
Ive got a buddy that did some handloads with Barnes 250g XPB hollow points and his 16" Bushmaster shot a 3/4" 100yd group and those bullets are wicked... Basically a Barnes expander muzzy bullet

Ive got a 20" Bushmaster brand .450 with a 1-8× scope and its a ridiculously good shooter with factory Hornady ammo. Sighted it in off a leadsled and the final 3 shot 100yd group was one wallowed out hole you could cover with a nickel.
Ive got a buddy that did some handloads with Barnes 250g XPB hollow points and his 16" Bushmaster shot a 3/4" 100yd group and those bullets are wicked... Basically a Barnes expander muzzy bullet

Would the Hornady .450bm ammo be similar to the hornady ML equivilent? U know that round that doesn’t expand well and has everyone switching to the Barnes? Same situation u suspect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would the Hornady .450bm ammo be similar to the hornady ML equivilent? U know that round that doesn’t expand well and has everyone switching to the Barnes? Same situation u suspect?

Im going to guess so. Ill be switching to my buddy's handloads next year, ran out of time before season started this year.
I never fired a shot this shotgun season, only had doe tags and didnt have an opportunity in an area I wanted to haul a doe out of. I did let a buddy use mine for his kid during youth season though. He had mixed results with the Hornady FTX ammo... His kid 12-ringed a couple deer with it, a doe that was close I think he said 50-75yds and a 3yr old buck at 150yds... He said the doe didnt leave any blood trail whatsoever but a blind man could have followed the bucks blood trail.
I had horrible luck with Hornady SSTs as far as expansion/blood trails in my muzzy years ago so I switched to Barnes expanders, well technically 350g Knight RedHots and they have always performed REALLY well so thats why Ill be switching to my buddys Barnes handloads next year when I have more time to develop a load my gun likes, get some loaded and get it sighted in

I think the Hornady FTX 450 B factory ammo is different. If you feel the polymer tip, the 450B ammo has a much softer tip. I think they will expand very well. I have the Ruger American 450 w/ 16 inch barrel. I haven't had a chance to shoot anything with it yet so I don't know what will happen with the factory ammo.

Here is a 450 forum that has some good info.

http://450bushmaster.net/index.php?sid=781949c9f2465c0fc13fe3f11cc5a794

Different bullet. The 450 round is not a SST. I killed plenty of deer with a bolt action 450 1st season. Most were one shot kills with no tracking needed.

Top Bottom