Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Strange looking Turnip plant.. Question? (W/PICS)

ILL BUCK

I planted some purple top turnips on the 18th of August. I tried them in a couple of spots, one being on a heavily shaded mowed path leading to my corn plot.
My areas with normal amounts of sun light look fine (looks like I seeded to heavy), it is the first picture.
The heavy shaded road planting germinated well also (seede to heave there too) but the plants are 10 times as tall. They are all stem with the leaves at the top.
My questions are...
1. Is the tall plants, all stem because of heavy shade??
2. Will these tall plants make any forage and or turnips?? Or should I plan on discing them under and plant cereal grains next weekend when I was planning finishing my food plots with cereal grain planting anyway??
Heres the pics.

Normal looking plants!
8_24_07_1.jpg

8_24_07_6.jpg

Really tall poor looking plants!
8_24_07_4.jpg

8_24_07_5.jpg

When I used to grow plants in my basement that is the way they looked a, long white stem with very small leaves.

I know you've already jumped to the conclusion that I was growing something illegal, one year I tried to start my own maters and peckers. They all grew very "stemmy" and spindley I'm sure due to my poor attempt at growth lights.

So from the looks of it I'd say it is from the shade. Will they snap outa it? Beats me. How long till the trees loose their leaves? Probably too long, but if you plant anything else in there will it grow? What was growing there before you planted the turnips?

The 'Bonker

Re: Strange looking Turnip plant.. Question? (W/PI

[ QUOTE ]
When I used to grow plants in my basement that is the way they looked a, long white stem with very small leaves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the botanical term is etiolation.

[ QUOTE ]
I tried to start my own maters and peckers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't they have a pill for that?
grin.gif
At least I'm getting a hundred spam emails a day claiming they do.

Re: Strange looking Turnip plant.. Question? (W/PI

I've given up on planting my logging roads. Just not enough sunlight. I failed for the third year this year.

I even went in with the saw and did a ton of TSI on both sides to let in more light.

Bonker, I had buckoats on this road one year, they seemed to do good. Haven't had anything but weeds and grass for the last few.

I think I will disc them under and try some rye there in a week or so and see how they do.

Thanks for the advice guys!!

Top Bottom