Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

String Rattling- Does it Work?????

1luckyguy

Read an article in North American Whitetail about a hunter who hangs his rattling horns on a string and rattles them on the ground below him. Said it frees up your hands and sounds more realistic with the antlers baning around in the leaves and deer don't bust you up in the tree.

Well, tried it Sat. afternoon and IT WORKS! Rattled in 6 differnet bucks in two hours and sealed the deal on a 148" 9 pt. Not the biggest I've shot, but I'm satisfied. Read the article and try it.

I have been doing it for a couple years now and I can tell you that I dont get busted as much. Thing is if you really need to bang the antlers together cause you see a buck 300 yards away you really cant. It has its ups and downs.

I read an artical a couple of years ago on it and discussed it with some bowhunting friends. We tried it just in the yard and it didnt really seem as the horns clanked very much. They did just not really very loud and it was hard to get the aggressive fight sound out of them. I suppose you could rattle them in your hands then drop them out of the tree and use the string to finish your sequence?

Did you have any trouble with the string tangling?

Dean

There was an article on this in Hawkeye Outdoors magazine back in about 1994. It was an interview with Irv Wagner and he used a rubber band attached to the tips of the antlers to help them bang together better.

Yes it works but I cannot get the volume I would like with it. I like to really smoke them at times to call deer in from long distances.

I didn't have too much trouble with the string tangling. It is true that you don't get the volume you would get with them in your hands. I really hammered them together in my hands for about 45 seconds, then dropped them out of the tree and jigged them somemore. Three bucks showed up in the first 10 minutes.

Glad it works for you but it sounds like a lot of extra work and I rattle in plenty with the antlers in my stand with me. I don't know how one can sound like an aggressive battle by just pulling on a string.

I have called in plenty of deer with the horns in hand also, 11 bucks on Nov. 4th, and 12 on Nov. 5th. I have a feeling if I would have had them on a string on Nov. 10th I would have had a shot at a booner. When that big buck hang up 50 yds. from your stand, you might wish you had them on a string to make him curious by giving it a little tug.

Ever smash your fingers rattling, I sure have. You can also hold your bow in one hand and tug the string with the other.

I think the best thing to do is rattle with horns in hand and then drop them out of the tree with string attached.

Use tow sets. One on a string and the other in your hands. Give that aggressive fight then you could hang em up and give that little tickle to draw him in that last few yards.

I used to try something similar but I would tie a string to a tree about 15-20 ft away w/ a lot of leaves and hit the horns together while tugging on the tree a little bit. It worked really well the few times i did it. I just haven't done it much because it's just another thing to do in a trestand.

This may give me a reason to carry a string long enough to pull my bow up into my stand.

I just pull the string back and put it across my shoulder like a gun-sling and the cam hits occasionally on screw in pegs.

Dean

Top Bottom