Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Strung or unstrung ?

Shovelbuck

Just an informal poll;)

Do you keep your recurves or longbows strung the entire season or do you unstring them at the end of the day?
I know the "experts" say it's ok the leave them strung but personally, I unstring mine at the end of that days hunt.
For me it's a simple and easy "push / pull" and it's done.:way:

Of course this question applies to modern material backed bows. Others absolutely need to be unstrung.

I keep everything unstrung, even the old Pearson recurve I just got. Every thing else are wooden selfbows. I did learn a valuable lesson a few years back on a bear hunt in Minn. I had made a heavy hickory bow, about 72 pounds, to hunt with. The first night out it was just misting a little rain and as usual I didn't brace the bow until i was in the stand in the tree. BIG mistake!! The bow was strong enough that it was hard to string any way, even with the simple push-pull, but with just a little water on it and my hands both it became way to much of a struggle and by the time I was done I was seeing spots floating around and thought I might fall out of the darn tree. And to top it all off I didn't see anything larger than a chipmunk come to the bait. I still haven't killed a bear with a stickbow but I ain't done yet.;)

I keep mine unstrung most all of the time. If I know I'm going to be hunting/shooting on back to back days, I might leave it strung in that event but not more than a couple days at a time.

I unstring my recurve everytime I'm done hunting. I do not have a case for a strung up bow and in Wisconsin they have to be unstrung in the vehicle.

Keep mine strung all season, Aug - Dec. Going on it's 20th consecutive season. Yea, that's right, the same bow.

If it ain't broke don't fix it or trade it. 8^)

"Beware of the craftsman who owns only one tool, for he is probably good with it."

Top Bottom