Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Struttin already

Handcannon

Drove to Mapleton Saturday & saw 2 toms struttin all fanned out w/ 11 hens. I think the warm weather has them a little excited.

Ive seen turkeys strut in the dead of winter before..I think some just are always excited..like a teenager ;)

If you are out in a timber this time of year and follow the turkey tracks a little, you can often see where they are strutting as their wingtip marks are easy to see in the snow. This is a good way to get a sense of where they are spending their time and what might also be a strut zone for them.

I saw a few back in November that were strutting around for quite a while. Not with hens, but with about a half dozen other males. I actually see quite a bit of winter strutting as a big flock inhabits my inlaws backyard every year. Gets a guy excited for spring no doubt!

A buddy and I were ice fishing south of soldier last week and the hens were cluckin and we heard two gobbles.

On Sunday I was down in southern Iowa checking my cameras and there was a group of 20+ turkeys in the picked corn field and they were cluckin and gobbling up a storm-

If you are out in a timber this time of year and follow the turkey tracks a little, you can often see where they are strutting as their wingtip marks are easy to see in the snow. This is a good way to get a sense of where they are spending their time and what might also be a strut zone for them.

Daver,
Won't they change their habits for spring?

Usually they start hammering behind my house on a good February warm up.. I'm surprised I didn't hear any this morning. Should be any day now.

Haven't seen any performing the fluffy ruffle up north yet but a friend down by the southern border said they were at it this morning !

Hardly a sight to be seen better than a strutting tom turkey. The last few years I've favored golf instead of turkey hunting. I saw quite a few birds in the deer stand this year so maybe I'll try my hand at it again.

Top Bottom