Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Strutting and gobbling.....

G

GunnerJon

My girlfriend saw the first strutting gobbler of the year for the two of us on our way out to Colorado for spring break last week.....I missed it, I was driving. I went out with a buddy this morning in the early morning to listen and the toms are certainly starting to sound off from the roost. We are going to keep on scouting and by next week, those big guys should be really fired up. We had one this morning that gobbled after fly-down....so they are getting hot! What are you guys/gals seeing out there?

Went out this evening fora while to have a listen. I saw about 20 hens in a group with 4 gobblers in full strut and gobbling. Then I went through the woods to take a look in another field and saw 14 hens with 3 gobblers strutting. All the Toms looked good but the first group of 4 looked really good. I've seen these 4 together for about 3 years now. There used to be 6 in the group. I ate 2 of them. I'm afraid the last 4 may be getting a bit wiser with age, we'll see.
grin.gif

Saw tons of strutters out this morning, but all still in large groups. Even saw a group of hens with 3 strutting jakes nearby. Sounds like warm weather next week so I'm sure they'll start to break up more.

NWBuck

Gunner,
I saw a tom strutting last Wednesday on George's right next to your Grandma's fence. I went out last Monday and didn't hear a thing, but found another shed. Small 3 pt, similar to the one I showed you last week.

mole

moleson
Thats awesome! Did he look big? Which way did he go? I wonder if it is that one that I tried for a week to kill last year!! The other day when we got done talking to you out in the field, we drove down the county line looking for where you are putting your house.....and there were 4 nice toms out in the corn on the south side of George's. They didn't even pay any attention to us. Thanks for the info.......keep me updated!

Saw a nice tom strutting with 6 hens today and then a jake and another tom came running into the same area. This is the third tom I have seen in full strut this year. With the warm weather it should just get better.

Went out this morning scouting , didn't see a turkey, but I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking, just did an hour or so of listening. 1st gobble was around 5:45 and I headed his way to get a pinpoint on him. Went about 100 yards up the hill and ended up being around 75-100 yards across the draw from him when he sounded off next. I pulled out the shock gobble owl call and gave it a couple of hoots and was met with a response from him and a couple of owls. Did it again and in flew this hoot owl and landed in a tree about 10 yards from me. Gave me the once over a couple of times and then his buddy (or buddette) flew in next to him and they hollered back and forth for a couple of minutes. All the while the gobbler was going nuts!! Was a pretty cool experience, just hope the gobblers come running in that easy the next few weeks!
cool.gif

Top Bottom