Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stupid Question... I think

AIRASSAULT

PMA Member
I will be out hunting for the next three days with the muzzelloader.. This will be my first time ever hunting with a muzz and was curious as to what I should do with the gun after each day of hunting... If I bring it inside out of the cold and haven't fired the charge out of it yet, will the condensation dampen the pellets and cause a mis-fire? Should I just leave my muzz outside over-night so it doesn't condensate at all?.. I'm using Triple 7 pellets if that makes any difference.

Good question, not even close to stupid. I leave mine in the garage (not heated but far from arctic either). If I don't shoot it for a couple to three days, I just fire it to be sure and reload. That's just my method, others will vary I'm sure. Also, be careful to keep your primers DRY. I keep mine in a plastic bag but whatever it takes. I think a lot of guys that have misfires or especially hangfires with inlines in particular attribute it to the powder but the back side of the primers can get wet in a pocket that gets rain/snow on it and seeps through and be just as likely the cause.

Last edited:
I can't speak for others, but once my ML is loaded it stays out in the cold until I fire it.

I shot a Knight Disc Extreme and when this firearm is in the guncase I have one of the red Disc filled with resin over the nipple, so no mosit can get in once the primer is removed.

This method has worked for me and I have never had a misfire.

I've learned that leaving the loaded ML in the trunk of the car in the attached (unheated) garage is not a good idea.:(

I have a cva optima and i take the breech pug out and then take the pellets out leave the pellets in the truck and take the gun inside i never have to worry about getting the pellets back in the gun becuase the cold air causes the pellets to shrink just a little and enough to get them back in through the breech never had a problem.

Top Bottom