Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stupid Question ??

BJohnson

This may be a stupid question but I am going to ask anyway. My family adopted our first family pet in mid-June, a six-month old black lab. My expectation was to have Hunter spend his time mixed between outside and inside but it has swayed more to inside than I had hoped. He spends some time outside on a leash next to the house but so far hates the outdoor kennel I spent $400 on. Currently the dog spends nights in a crate in our basement. Normal sleep routine is down by 10:30 or 11:00 PM and up between 6-6:30 AM for a walk. He goes down great at night and for the most part I don't hear him at all until around 6 AM (or daybreak).

I am getting pretty concerned about how in the heck I am going to get ready for morning hunts at 4 am and out of the house to go hunting without waking the dog and in turn aggravating the whole house. I know there are quite a few of you who are dog owners and I gotta believe certain of you have your dogs inside at night ?? Any advice as to what hunting season AM routines have worked best you for would be appreciated. I really love hunting AMs and hate to think of that time being lost. The old saying "nobody's happy if Momma ain't happy" applies to my household so I am just trying to seek out some advice from my fellow addicts as to how to best minimize the negative issues with the rest of my family. :D

Thanks

I thinnk the trouble is a barking dog, not the waking him part! A firm scolding did all of mine well

dogs learn quickly..... just start leaving him a little later and he will HAVE To get used to the new routine. Simple fix! :way:

I have a runner line for my dog. In the mornings while I'm getting ready, I put her on that, and when I'm ready to head out, I put her back in the house and she's fine.

Our dog never cared when I went hunting in the early morning, as long as she knew someone else was still in the house.

Do a trial one of these weekends prior to season to see how it goes. Leave the house and stand outside for an hour or so to see if the dog comes unglued.

I've read it isn't good to have a dog live half in/half out of the house during the winter, so I'd be making up my mind soon.

Top Bottom