Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stupid

droptine37

Life Member
Made a rookie food plotters mistake last week. The only problem is I have been doing this for several years now and should have known better. Our beans have been hanging in there this year but between the lack of rain and deer browse they were really having a hard time growing. Of course this meant the weeds had more sunlight and I decided to spray a strong dose of roundup a day or so before our next forecasted rain. I had about 1 3/4 gallons of round up and used the whole amount evenly between two 25 gallon atv sprayer tanks. I also added what was left of our insecticide from last year in each tank. I was in a hurry and never figured what type of rate I was applying of the roundup or the insecticide but needless to say my decent looking bean plots are completely dead now.

Just a learning lesson for everyone that even when pressed for time you really need to slow down and make sure your doing things right. I thought that I was probably pushing an application rate of around 3 oz. per gallon of round up but based on the results I am guessing it was higher. Along with the drought stress my beans just couldnt take it. I need to re-read my insecticide label but I am also wondering if that might have been too high? Anyone know if you can overdo insecticide applications?

I still have two decent sized bean plots and one good corn plot that should provide us with some grain this winter. I will be putting my order into welters soon for dbl trees fall mix. Wasn't planning on having so much to do with our fall plots but I guess that's what happens when you get in a hurry.

Last edited:
Are you sure you had roundup ready beans? We spray 24oz/acre of roundup on our farm and sometimes twice that if the weeds got away from us.

3 oz per acre? We run 64 oz per acre of 4 lb round up, and 44 oz per acre of 6 lb round up, usually twice a year. Weeds are getting tough to kill, and full rates of round up are the only control that we can get. 3 oz per acre shouldn't have even touched anything. Sure you didn't have 24D or some type of broadleaf killer in there? Or your 100% for sure your beans were Round up Ready?

I meant 3 oz per gallon. The two plots I sprayed were probably just under 2 acres in total. I am thinking 1 3/4 gallons of round up was alot more than I was thinking

i don t believe it is the roundup!

I am not aware of any cases where roundup has ever killed a roundup ready soybean or corn crop. that would be the same for insecticides. some of these products contain oils to help the products stick or absorb to plants for the desired "absorbtion" of the active ingredient into the plant. this is where you often get yellowing in field situations where this is higher rates or overlap of sprayed areas. Roundup is labeled to 44 oz to an acre and in overlaps it would be 2x that or 96 ozs. this would be the approximate rate you sprayed. I have seen this applied across 1000 s of acres and never seen a soybean die in overlaps. some thing s to look at What was the last thing you sprayed with the sprayer? Are u sure it was roundup ready seed? Was the roundup and insecticide in the original container? I am almost positive it is either confusion of what was planted or what is being sprayed???

I'll tell you what I bet happened.... Did you spray this on a hot sunny day? You cooked your beans. I'll only spray my beans when it's this hot & sunny either really early in the morning or 7 at night. Round-up (and water to some degree) magnifies the sun's rays by a major amount.
Spraying early or late - of course round-up will be a little less effective but u can up the rate. I sprayed some last week at 8am and still have a few burnt beans. Probably just won't spray when it's this hot ever again, even early/late & if I did, I'm going for the late spraying. You either burnt em up or had the wrong herbicide. You could double the dose of round-up on a regular cool day & beans would be fine.

Top Bottom