Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Subsoiler

Fishbonker

Life Member
I think my tiller creates some issues with hard pan, also known as compaction. I'm thinking of getting a subsoiler to break it up. Anybody have any experience or thoughts?

Thanks.

I think my tiller creates some issues with hard pan, also known as compaction. I'm thinking of getting a subsoiler to break it up. Anybody have any experience or thoughts?

Thanks.

Sure just plant brassicas. or winter rye and next spring you'll have to wait to do any field work as the ground will have to much tilth.

Here I thought by the title that bonker had just gotten a little shovel to take with him when he "goes" to the blind. :D

But I agree. ..plant brassicas and rye and you will take care of compaction and help yourself in other ways too.

Sure just plant brassicas. or winter rye and next spring you'll have to wait to do any field work as the ground will have to much tilth.

Been there done that doin it again this year. It just seems when I run the tiller it just creates a hard pan underneath. I just wonder if running a subsoiler every few years will help that.

In fact this year I let my rye grow way too long so the straw made it practically impossible to work up with a disc (floated on top) or till (would have wrapped around the tines).

I can get a subsoiler for 150 bucks. 50hp, 24 inches deep, but perhaps running the tractor over the ground to run the subsoiler would cause more compaction than it would cure?

Here I thought by the title that bonker had just gotten a little shovel to take with him when he "goes" to the blind.

Naw, the State has rules against burying toxic material. They want to keep my "stuff"as far above the water table as they can (so it can run off into streams). In fact, when they got wind that I was putting in a new septic system there were more DNR cars and trucks in the driveway than I could shake my stick at. I never knew it could be so expensive to take a 'Bonker.

You could plant tillage radishes. They grow deep and will break any type of hard pan you may have created. More farmers are turning to tillage radishes as cover crops to fight compaction. They will also retain nutrients. Although it's too late to plant them this year, it's something to consider for next year.

any type of horizontal tillage will create a compaction later with moisture conditions at time of application affecting with being the wetter creating more problems with compaction A ripper would help to solve this as would tillage radishes, rye, freeze-thaw, and minimizing traffic. Depending on what you are trying to grow and soil types, we have heavy bottom soils and by going to the dbltree rotation with radishes we have the best soil tilth we have ever had.

There are a couple options that I have helped many farmers with compaction problems. Not to increase my own business, but there is a product called APSA 80 which is proven to help with compaction. I do sell it, but I also use and recommend it to my family. It breaks down the water molecule and allows it to penetrate the soil deeper. It is fairy inexpensive, and has a good residual. It is also safe to drink, not that I would recommend it though. Hope this helps.

There are a couple options that I have helped many farmers with compaction problems. Not to increase my own business, but there is a product called APSA 80 which is proven to help with compaction. I do sell it, but I also use and recommend it to my family. It breaks down the water molecule and allows it to penetrate the soil deeper. It is fairy inexpensive, and has a good residual. It is also safe to drink, not that I would recommend it though. Hope this helps.

Great...another Amway dunce. APSA 80 is NOT safe to drink, and is not a soil amender

Not sure what APSA 80 is or does, but breaking down a water molecule gives you hydrogen and oxygen, two gases that escape to the atmosphere.

Sorry for the advice. And I was wrong in my wording of breaking down the water molecule. I should have said makes it smaller. But again, not trying to help myself. Sorry for making you upset.

Sorry for the advice. And I was wrong in my wording of breaking down the water molecule. I should have said makes it smaller. But again, not trying to help myself. Sorry for making you upset.

1. it was Bad advice
2. You're definitely not "helping-yourself" by making unfounded statements
3. You're not the first-guy to come here and make this type of "non-business-drumming, reverse-psychology style" first post.
4. No need to apologize to me...I think whomever you've used that sales-pitch on are the ones you should apologize to...especially if you're using those statements to "advise" farmers.

Top Bottom