Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Successful last day of bonus season

Old Buck

Life Member
Four of us got together to wrap up the season. We all wanted to practice qdm so we were very careful glassing prospective targets before shooting and not shooting if we weren't sure. We passed antlered bucks (obviously), shed antlered bucks and fawns. Succeeded in taking 5 mature does. All were given to people who appreciate the meat.

My personal tally for the season, one mature buck, 8 mature does, lots of video and many priceless memories.

Also a youngster with his first deer (doe during early muzzleloader season) and then first deer with a bow (he's hooked!).

Old buck

Old Buck,
That sounds like the perfect season especially with the youngsters success & memories... you should be very proud.
I would sure like to shoot that many does but I have trouble finding people to give them to. My family can eat three deer per year so thats how many I try to take. I wish I could find people that want deer meat but very few in this area do. I have donated them to hunters for hungry but that gets expensive, getting them processed. Here in Michigan we need about 20,000 hunters (-160,000 does) with that attitude and maybe our buck to doe ratio will be close to where it should be!
Congrats, keep practicing QDM and good luck shed hunting.
beerchug.gif

Nonres

Old Buck-
Sounds like a great year, did you ever put a tape to that heavy beamed buck of yours?? I was also fortunate enough to have my son shoot his first buck in Wisconsin this year. Quite a thrill for Dad and son. Sorry we didn't have a chance to share videos before heading back to Wisconsin. Maybe next fall!
wibohnt

OLD BUCK,

I would love to see a picture of your buck that your harvested this year! And will the buck be in any of your up and coming paintings? I am a huge fan of your paintings! You are the best wildlife artist I have ever seen! Plus, you are obviously a excellent hunter. Anyone that consistantly harvestest mature bucks like you, is someone that I could learn a few things from. I really enjoy reading your posts and responses.

Old Buck,
Congrats! I am curious as to how many bucks you saw that had half racks or none at all? I am ready to start hunting horns and have heard some are starting to drop.

You really probably should share your buck picture with us...
grin.gif

Old Buck,
I have often wondered what type of doe to take,is it best to shoot the older does and if so what are the advantages to this?I've really never known the why's and what for's of harvesting does but we are trying to do selective harvest on the areas we hunt.

Nonres,
You bring up a good point. We really could use a 'Hunters Helping the Hungry' program here in Iowa. It would make it easier for hunters to get meat they don't need to people who can use it. It also could do a lot counter the anti's efforts to make us look like bad guys.

wibohnt,
Congrat's on your son taking his first buck. That's how memories are made. Let's make time for the videos next fall.

Baby-G,
Thanks for the kind words. The buck won't be a main subject of a painting but he might end up in the background some day. I was lucky enough to tape him several times before the harvest. I thought it might be fun to let people try to guess his score based on stills from the video. You can see how far I've gotten on that project since last November. I am planning on having him at the Deer Classic in March.

Limb Chicken,
It is hard to say how many shed antlered bucks I've seen because they look so much alike. This year I've seen more bucks injured, apparently in fights, than ever before and I think that is part of the reason for so many dropping early. Also lots of busted racks. From what I've seen, there should be quite a few sheds out there already.

Buckhunter,
The main reason to take does is to lower or maintain the deer population in an area. If you want more deer in your area I wouldn't shoot many does yet. Once you get the population where you want it you need to take quite a few to maintain a stable population. With a healthy herd in prime habitat I've heard of harvest numbers from 28-40% to maintain a stable population.

In Iowa most fawn will get bred the first fall and have a single fawn the following spring. Most older does will have two or sometimes even three fawn. Since the spot I'm in has too many deer, in my opinion, harvesting mature does is the most effective way to try to control the population. Of course it also helps improve the buck/doe ratio at the same time. Not shooting young bucks helps develop a more natural buck age structure.

Another interesting factor is buck dispersal related to social pressures. Holzenbein and Marchinton (1992) radio-tracked fifteen male fawns orphaned shortly after weaning and nineteen that grew up with their mothers. By 30 months of age, 87 percent of the bucks with surviving mothers had dispersed from their birth ranges, but only 9 percent of the orphans had left theirs. Survival was also much higher among the orphans than among bucks with their mothers.

In other words, shoot the button buck's mom and he'll have about a 90% chance of staying in the area. Keep the doe and the buck will have a 90% chance of leaving by age 2 1/2.

The bottom line is how you want to impact the deer herd in your particular area. Every time a deer comes in range and you decide to shoot or not to shoot you have made a deer management decision. If you can get most of the deer hunters in your area to agree on how you all want to manage the herd it becomes more fun for everyone. It takes a lot of talking, a lot of education and a lot of time but the results can be worth it.

There is a lot of good info in the book Quality Whitetails, The Why and How of Quality Deer Management. You can get it by calling the Quality Deer Management Association at 800-209-DEER.

Old Buck

Top Bottom