Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Suggestions

I-state_hunters

Got a 1/2 acre plot planted just before the long lasting rain in April. After the rain subsided and the wind started to blow a rock hard top layer formed on my plot. Its a Chickory plot with some Brassica mixed in.

Should I just let it go and pray for rain, or is there something that I can use to help the plot grow? There are some small chickory sprigs showing so I dont want to do too much damage to the top layer...

if you have an old harrow you can drag over it with an ATV that will break up the ground some without harming what you have planted. Sounds like it is going to get hot and relatively dry so that may be your best bet.

I'm not sure where you live in Iowa? but are clover plots are the same way oats come up perfect clover is coming in we have a hard crust to. We are supposed to get rain tonight here in Northeast Iowa. My Dad farms and he told me to leave it be. Remember the seeds aren't to far under the crust. Hopefully it will rain for ya. I know its supposed to rain here tonight then Mon,Tues., Wed. its supposed to rain here. If you know rain is coming I think i would let it be otherwise you might want to scratch it a little. I'll have to post some pictures of our foodplots. Good Luck

Top Bottom