Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Summer's End

SaskGuy

Sadly another summer has come and gone for me but I will not complain, I had lots of time to spend with my family. Tomorrow I am back to work so fishing for the summer has officially reached it's end. August had us extremely busy with golf, camping, family reunions, weddings so we were only able to do a few day trips from home, not nearly enough to please Reid. Tait isn't nearly as addicted to fishing as his older brother, he's small in stature for his 5 yrs and has trouble fighting them unless it is perch we are after. If there are snacks in the boat and someone to listen to him talk, he's happy. :way:
Last weeekend we decided to head to the cabin for one last weekend before school starts. I am definately not a professional fisherman but I like to think I know what I am doing but on Fri. evening Reid and I were skunked for 2 hrs. On Sat we were all over the lake in both my boat and my father inlaw's boat. I jigged, I pulled spinners, I pulled cranks, I drifted live bait rigs, I tried slip bobbers.....it was TOUGH!!! Late Aug is often hard but it was the worst I've ever had. B/W 2 boats we caught 3 walleye and 3 pike over the course of 5 or 6 hrs. One pike was a good solid fish.
1093-aush.jpg

We took a break for an hr or so and then just the boys and I got in grandpa's boat to jig in one of the creeks that feeds the lake.
1093-au202.jpg

We were able to add some perch to the table fair of a couple walleye and a smaller pike from earlier in the day. The boys wanted a pic in front of the sign........we did almost have to lie it was so bad.
1093-au20.jpg

On Sunday the wind blew hard from the south and limited our options. I decided to try drifting over a big flat and cast for pike as it may not be as tough as the walleye fishing had been on Sat. I'm glad I did as the 2nd fish in the boat was the best one I have hooked this yr, a 44" pig.:drink2:I was not expecting it as I was tossing a small 3" mepps aglia spinner just looking for some 5 lb eaters.
1093-049.jpg

1093-au25.jpg

Letting her go.
1093-au203.jpg

After a couple more 36 and 37" fish for myself I gave Reid my spinner and he whacked his personal best, a 37.5" er. It gave him a good battle on his spinning gear.
1093-au26.jpg

I was continuing to hammer high quality fish, averaging around 36" on a big blue syclops spoon. I gave it to mom as she hadn't caught many fish yet and in a 30 minute span she had boated 3 of the biggest pike she has ever caught, a 37, 38 and 39" fish.
1093-au29.jpg

1093-au28.jpg

In 4 or 5 hrs of casting we caught maybe 25 fish but 2 of every 3 fish were extremely solid fish. Reid also lost one about the same size as the big one he got to the boat and he had a serious startle as another big fish slammed into the boat while attempting to hit his lure. I do not know why there were so many large pike in that area, obviously there was some environmental condition that pushed them there but it was the BEST august pike fishing I have had in my life. In 24 hrs it went from the worst to the best.
In a week whitetail season opens. I am absolutely positive that it will not be the first and foremost thing on my plate in Sept. as until Oct. rolls around, we'll be rolling the lund up the road on weekends looking to have as much fun as we had on Sunday.

Those are some great pike! They must be starting to feed hard for the fall and winter. Looks like a great time with your family. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

They must be starting to feed hard for the fall and winter
Those were my thoughts. The lake is about 3 feet higher than usual and the weeds are all dieing off, the water is cooler than normal and it is very rare to find large pike in 6 to 8 feet of water like we did this time of yr.

Dang would love to hook into a Pike of that size....looks like a great time Kaare. I think we share the same fall duties (job) don't we??? Biology teacher???

[QUOTEDang would love to hook into a Pike of that size....looks like a great time Kaare. I think we share the same fall duties (job) don't we??? Biology teacher???][/QUOTE]

It is a good time. We don't use super heavy equip. like you see musky fisherman use so you get into some good battles, Reid's fish was pretty much all he could handle at his age, truthfully the mid teen fish tend to fight harder than ones over 20. I am not a biology teacher just a 7/8 teacher who teaches a variety of subject areas, science being my favorite.

Looks like great fun! I am going to the Lake of the Woods in a few weeks, so maybe I can get a few nice ones too from up nort!

In a week whitetail season opens. I am absolutely positive that it will not be the first and foremost thing on my plate in Sept. as until Oct. rolls around, we'll be rolling the lund up the road on weekends looking to have as much fun as we had on Sunday.

DUDE!!! you never cease to bring a smile to my face. I thoroughly enjoy the family aspect you bring to the outdoors. Those fish are some serious "slammers" and I don't blame you one bit by putting the whitetails on the back burner.:way:

Top Bottom