Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sunday's Camera Pull

akcarv

This is my first try at using a trail cam and it is really fun! My youngest son really wanted to get a black bear this year so after soccer season we set up a bait station. We had to break ice for 1/2 mile on May 27 to set it out. The first two sits we saw 4 black bears but were unable to close the deal. Then it was off to basketball camp for a week. We were hit really hard by blacks that week so we re-baited Sunday with 150lbs. of C.O.B., dog food, popcorn, molasses, etc. Eighteen minutes after we left, the sow and cubs were on the bait. They ate it all in a day and a half. The cubs are 2 1/2 year olds and the size of a good black bear. The single bear is a large boar. He is rubbed pretty bad. The barrel is a 55 gal. for reference. Brown bears are off limits over bait on the Kenai, so it just makes for a little more exitement walking into your stand! Nearly everyone I know is having problems with browns this year. It looks like this will be the end of our season as I can't afford to feed this crew. We still had fun and had lots of good time together.
1116-pict0436_original.jpg
1116-pict0408_original.jpg

Holy Brown bear some nice pictures there better the trail cam there then you in a blind taking pictures haha

18 minutes later huh? Very cool, makes you wonder where she was at when you were setting everything up. Be careful up there!!! Please reply back to us so we know you are still checking the bait site out. :)

This pretty much ended our baiting this year. The bait site is a 2 hour drive/boat ride to get to, and bait and gas are very expensive up here. We did pass on a couple of smaller black bears earlier. The main goal was to hunt with my son and we still had a great time together. We have to pull the site out by the 30th so I will post any good pics. Hopefully I will draw an Iowa bow tag this year. If I do, my trail cam will be sent to my brother in Des Moines!

Top Bottom