Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sunflower failure

Keef

I planted about 1/3 acre of sunflowers for doves and turkeys. It came up and looked good and then died. The local MFA guy said if I had sprayed the field in the last year that was the reason. I used 2-4D to kill the weeds before I planted. Looks like another lesson learned for a rookie. Let me know if he is correct. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Keef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I planted about 1/3 acre of sunflowers for doves and turkeys. It came up and looked good and then died. The local MFA guy said if I had sprayed the field in the last year that was the reason. I used 2-4D to kill the weeds before I planted. Looks like another lesson learned for a rookie. Let me know if he is correct. Thanks. </div></div>

Seems like the 2-4D would have inhibited germination (or killed it as it emerged) but if the field was sprayed with a strong residual like Atrazine last year then they might emerge and then die.

I have seen crops like oats do that when atrazine was applied the previous year.

Live and learn with a lot of these things... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom