Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

super Black or Super Nova

Yeah, the SBE2 was a VERY nice gun but not sure if it's in my price range.

I looked at the Stoeger 3500 and liked how it felt. The good ole 870 Super Mag was also a solid feeling gun with a much nicer price tag as well. More 870s sold than any other shot gun on the planet... says something. Cooter did you put the pistol grip and tactical stock on it afterwards or buy it like that?

I bought it like that from Scheels.

Its call a Speacial Purpose turkey or SPS. They don't make them like the one I have anymore.

I didt really need it I bow hunt turkeys it was more for the boy. That's what I told the wife anyway :)

I seen it in the store and fell in love. I know they still sell the stocks I have seen them but can't remember where. I is a nice setup the reduces repcoil a lot.

I plan on mounting a red dot on it and slug hunting with it this year.

If you are looking for a work horse go with the 870.

Mobile Cooter

Cabelas sells them

Stock

s7_224733_999_alt01_01

I bought an M2 because I don't have the need to shoot 3 1/2". If you want something a little cheaper but just as nice of quality, check out the Franchi I-12. They are a little nice and better than the Stoeger in my opinion.

I bought an M2 because I don't have the need to shoot 3 1/2". If you want something a little cheaper but just as nice of quality, check out the Franchi I-12. They are a little nice and better than the Stoeger in my opinion.

I have had a SBE for somewhere between 15 and 20 years now and it has almost always performed very well for me in all kinds of conditions. I did have a spring replaced about 2 years ago as it began to not cycle low powder shells.

When I got it originally I thought I needed the 3-1/2" shell for goose hunting(steel shot). What I found out is that the large shell did not pattern all that well and then they came out with other loads for waterfowl hunting that were many times better than steel. So I have pretty much always used 3", not 3-1/2", shells once there were alternatives to steel.

Therefore, I too think you would be just as happy with the M2 as the SBE. I don't have any thoughts on the Nova, almost everyone I hunt with have a SBE or a M2 and they all love them.

I've got a handfull of friends that had SBE 2s and dumped them. Said they wouldnt cycle religiously once they got dirty.

I just picked up a 98% condition SBE 1 this late summer and I love it so far. Look into the the Stoger 3500, great 3 1/2 gun for the money.

As far as a pump gun I'd suggest the 870 Super Mag however, I have a buddy with one and its a finger smasher...We figured out, all of us that have shot it with 3 1/2 that stand 5'11 or taller needs a different buttpad on it, draw is too short. It abuses the top of your middle finger on your trigger hand.

If your getting a SBE...check the SBE 1's....they are tanks and no extractor problems. I picked one up from a guy last year that I knew took GREAT care of his guns and it only had prolly 4 boxes of shells through it in 5 years. I ran more though it during snow goose season than he ever did...I picked it up for $800. 3 other buddies shoot them, and never had problems with them other than normal wear and tare of the black finish, which was taken care of with a camo dipping. BUT that gun was 13 years old before needing that.

Also look into the browning Maxxis....have heard nothing but great things about them. Last time I knew, Scheels in DSM had a SBE 1 for sale...its prolly 75-80%, $600...its definitely been hunted though. and a 24" barrel...so they will struggle to get rid of it usually.

In order of least recoil, to most recoil. Slug guns that I've owned or shot.
Beretta Xtrema2 w/Kick-Off
Win. SX3
Browning Silver
Browning Gold
Browning Maxus (Kicks considerably more than SX3) Don't own this slug gun. Shot at range against SX3.
Benelli SBE

SBE over Super Nova. aka Super Mule, my old SBE has never jammed , but it kicks quite a bit more than the others. My buddy has a Super Mule. Magnum slugs and goose loads hurt in that gun!

Last edited:
In order of least recoil, to most recoil. Slug guns that I've owned or shot.
Beretta Xtrema2 w/Kick-Off
Win. SX3
Browning Silver
Browning Gold
Browning Maxus (Kicks considerably more than SX3) Don't own this slug gun. Shot at range against SX3.
Benelli SBE

SBE over Super Nova. aka Super Mule, my old SBE has never jammed , but it kicks quite a bit more than the others. My buddy has a Super Mule. Magnum slugs and goose loads hurt in that gun!

With the SBE, you will definitely want a LimbSaver recoil pad for the 3 1/2"er's....innertia driven means its gotta have something resisting (your shoulder) to cycle....the LS pad will cut the felt recoil almost in half.

I will put a vote out there for the Beretta Xtrema2. Have owned one for about a year now, shot a ton of geese last winter with it, cycled everything without a problem and I have never really been bothered by guns kicking. Thought going from the SP-10 to Xtrema2 I would really feel it since I was loosing about 6lbs in weight, but didn't feel a difference. Also, the aqua technology is hard to beat if you are going to be using the gun for waterfowl at all. You can drop that baby in the water and not clean it and it still won't rust on you.

I really liked the SBE too, but the Xtrema I liked a bit more and got a better price.

Another gun I have heard good things about is the new VersaMax.

Kratz

I've got a Super Nova. It's been used as a push pole, boat oar, and a brush whacker, oh... and to shoot waterfowl and upland game as well. I bought it specifically for a waterfowl gun as I certainly would not treat any of my other guns the way this thing has been and was looking for a gun that could take the abuse. I still think the gun rattles and is ugly as can be, but it goes BOOM... BOOM... BOOM... As a wise man once told me, "She aint the prettiest girl on the dance floor, but the dance floor isn't where it counts."

It's been a great gun for what I spent on it, and would probably recommend one to anyone. Personally, I'm looking for a good semi-auto for waterfowling and a nice side by side for upland game. I've heard good things about the Versa Max, Maxus, and of course the good old SBE2. For what it's worth, I still have yet to put a gun to my shoulder that quite has the feel of a SBE2. Love the fit of that gun.

I've got a Super Nova. It's been used as a push pole, boat oar, and a brush whacker, oh... and to shoot waterfowl and upland game as well. I bought it specifically for a waterfowl gun as I certainly would not treat any of my other guns the way this thing has been and was looking for a gun that could take the abuse. I still think the gun rattles and is ugly as can be, but it goes BOOM... BOOM... BOOM... As a wise man once told me, "She aint the prettiest girl on the dance floor, but the dance floor isn't where it counts."

It's been a great gun for what I spent on it, and would probably recommend one to anyone. Personally, I'm looking for a good semi-auto for waterfowling and a nice side by side for upland game. I've heard good things about the Versa Max, Maxus, and of course the good old SBE2. For what it's worth, I still have yet to put a gun to my shoulder that quite has the feel of a SBE2. Love the fit of that gun.

Excellent review.

The general consensus I get on the Super Nova is that anyone who has owned/used one in the field is that they're very happy with the performance of the gun under any/all conditions. Most of the negative reviews are from people who picked it up in the store and put it back because it felt cheaply made. I love the price of the Super Nova right now, especially considering what you get for what you pay.

What is Benelli like for customer service/warranty work?

spend the extra $$$$on the SBE II, or find a used SBE or SBEII. unless you never want to shoot 3.5's. then go for a M1 or M2. a guy in our group had a nova slug gun (pretty sure it wasn't the super) and it was crap. traded it off.
i have a M1 and LOOOOVE it

I agree with the fact that it's a shooter. I don't disagree with that. I'm talking about recoil. I'm talking about recoil and how it effects the 2nd, 3rd shots.... A quick follow up on a flock of ducks or a huge buck, due to low recoil, is priceless.

Muddy, I bought the SBE II a couple yrs ago and the camo on the barrel chipped really bad, I sent it in and they redipped it for me, it took about 3 weeks to get back. There was no hassel about it at all.
A side not, the novas were made to compete with the cheaper guns, and they are just that. If I were going with a punp gun 870 is the only way to go, I have put my 870 through hell and back with out any problems. When I go to my safe to get a shotgun that shoots good and is easy to shoot I always get the SBE II it is my favorite.

What is your main use and how much are you really gonna use it? Buy a cheap one then save the rest of your money to save up for a Mathews:D

My kid is the only one that uses my 870. Killed his first turkey with it. The stock worked great for him.

But like I said I will be using it this slug season. Not an orange army fan but gonna have to this year.......

I will likely be using the gun on one out of state Turkey hunt a year and Maybe a couple duck/goose hunts a year so not a lot.

The 870 has probably killed more game than any other shotgun ever made and will continue to do so. My super nova does the same thing. I think it's a wash between the two myself. If I had to do it over again, I might consider a good old 870 super mag with a wood stock instead just because I like the look a little bit better and the feel of the forestock better. As far as recoil, that's why I am considering a semi-auto solely for waterfowling for the follow up shots. In my opinion, you get what you pay for, and I would rather get a good quality pump vs. a marginal quality semi auto. Save your money for a good semi-auto when you can afford it.

I have not had much experience with the customer service from Benelli since I haven't had much for problems (friend of mine had an issue and they fixed it quickly and worked out well for both parties fwiw). The only problem I have ever had was due to grass seeds and stuff gumming up my trigger assembly but that was my own fault and after cleaning it, I couldn't believe the thing still shot!

"In my opinion, you get what you pay for, and I would rather get a good quality pump vs. a marginal quality semi auto. Save your money for a good semi-auto when you can afford it."

Never been truer words spoken.

Top Bottom