Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

surveyor question

bjkpharmd

Any surveyors out there? Can anyone give me a ballpark figure to survey a lot split on 250 acres? I'd like to keep about 80 acres for myself, I've got the pencil sharpened but don't know what the fees might cost. Are there other drawbacks to splitting a parcel into smaller pieces? Thanks in advance.

The prices of a survey will be determined generally by the size of the parcel, and the terrain of the parcel. If it's rough terrain it's usually more expensive. The size of this suvery could reach several hundred to a thousand + dollars depending on the situation.

Bottom line it's really hard to estimate a survey cost without a little courthouse reasearch and actually seeing the property.

Pupster

Some land divisions dont require a survey. All you need is a legal description. For example you want to keep 80 acres. The legal could be figured out to be the NW1/4-NW1/4 and the SW1/4-NW1/4, Sec. ????, lying North and West of the Town Road. You just need a legal that can be drawn out.
If you want to take your 80 out a different way you need a survey.

I am a surveyor in North Carolina. Iowa is on the public lands system as opposed to the colonial system. The one thing to remember is that like many other things, you often get what you pay for. Beware of the discount survey. If an unlicensed individual offers to do your survey who is not under the direct supervision of a licensed professional, please notify your state attorney general.
180BC

like I said if you dont need a survey dont get one done. They are not needed in alot of cases.

Another thing to consider. Make sure that your surveyor is licensed himself and not working off someone elses license. When I bought my farm it was part of my mother's estate and I had to have a survey. There had not been any surveys done in that for over 90 years so they had to start from scratch and establish section corners. Long story short it cost me $3500 to do 140 acres, then I found out the guy that did it wasn't licensed or certified. He was working on someone elses license and because of that I couldn't get a certified survey for the estate. I finally got it all worked out but what a hassel.

Top Bottom