Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Surviving in the wild

Shovelbuck

This could be a bit of fun.
With all the survivor shows on television anymore, how many of you have given any thought to if you could do it?
Let's throw this scenario out there............................
You are dropped off in the wilderness where there is a creek with good water and from the sign, game, both big and small should be plentiful. It's early spring in the central United States, and you have to stay in that area and survive for three months. The only gear you get to take in with you must fit in and on an average sized pack, plus one weapon. No tents, or anything with batteries allowed!! You can't take food.
What will you take?
Remember, this is survival so all game laws are out the window.

I would take the following.....................

.62 Flintlock with a large horn of powder, shot and balls for different types of game. Enough for about 40 rounds. That all fits in my shooting bag with regular shooting supplies.
Several snares
Compass
Fire starting kit
Three sets of clothes / with two pair boots and extra laces
Warm hat
Several bandannas
Pair of gloves
Two heavy blankets
Medium sized axe
Pack shovel
Two good fixed blade knives/with a small sharpening stone
100 ft of 3/8 rope
Small saw
Canvas drop cloth
Medium sized cast iron skillet with utensils
Canteen / and cup
Coffee and small pot
Soap/toothbrush & paste a towel and couple wash cloths
As much toilet paper than will fit in the space left!

There's more that a person would have room for but I think I could get by quite well with these items.

If we're talking a real life situation my weapon would be a .22 long rifle. Easy to shoot, lightweight, and you can take a crap load of ammo. It would be ideal for the majority of the game you'd come across and you could still put the axe to a deer if you made a head shot. Everything else on your list I'd agree with so long as the water is safe to drink otherwise a boiling pot is in order.

I agree with Shovels list minus the .62 flintlock :) I would take a 22 and a ton of bullets. I would also have some sort of fishing kit just in case I could find some fish to catch. I would also take a Volleyball named Wilson :)

Last edited:
Some basic fishing supplies is an item I should of listed. Good call!:way:
As for types of weapons, whatever a person is comfortable with.

I think I would have to take a more simple approach. I would take black clothes, boots, hat, and black face paint. I'd also make sure the boots had foot print cut-outs on the bottom of whatever the most common local big game is. I'd use all of that to sneak into Shovel's and Muddy's camps at night while they are sleeping and just take all their food stuff and get a good cup of coffee! The boots with the footprints on the bottom would make them think the local big game was taking all their stuff! :way:

Aside from that, I think Shovel and Muddy pretty much covered what I was thinking.

I'm all about this, good post!!

My external frame pack is ginormous and can fit a lot of stuff, far bigger than average. But Shovelbuck, there are tents out there that could darn near fit in my cargo pocket, I'd be tempted to break your rule!!

-My gun would be a 220 Swift with about 50 rounds.
-A 5' medium rod and reel spooled with 8lb. test with a small container of assorted tackle.
-A water filtration device...A MUST!!
-Fire starting kit
-A 32oz Nalgene
-small axe/hatchet and folding camp saw
-15degree down sleeping bag
-soap, toothbrush/paste, deoderant
-my pack pan/bowl/utensil set
-coffee bags
-My SOG knife/double serrated saw combo (all in one) and small stone
-a good pocket knife
-couple snares
-bug spray!
-wool blanket
-some waterproof bags
-space blanket
-headlamp
-UnderArmor pants/mock turtle neck/stocking cap
-Insulated leather gloves
-1 pair compression, 1 pair wool socks
-2 pair pants, ss shirt, hoody, and light raingear
-1 pair tennis shoes, 1 pair tall waterproof hiking boots
-a spool of twine and a good sized 3/8 rope
-pack shovel
-heavy tarp
-pocket bible

I've fit all this minus the snares and a few other items and way more in my external frame pack, so it should fit into an average sized one. Plus alot of it would be on me or my belt.

Most importantly, MY FAVORITE BALLCAP!

It's early spring in the central United States, and you have to stay in that area and survive for three months.

You guys are tough!!! Early spring and 3 months later means MOSQUITOS!!! I am bringing some bug spray, seeing as 3 months worth of thermacell butane and matts would take up too much room.

I am with everybody on the .22 rifle. Lockers have killed many 1000 # steers with a well placed .22, so I can live good with this and plenty of ammo.

Danner boots
headlamp/flashlight/ batteries
two shaving razors
TP(as much as I can fit
5 bars of soap
2 camo outfits
lightweight raingear
stocking hat/ballcamp
Firestarter flints
waterproof matches
bic lighters
2 knifes
small folding saw
hatchet
leatherman micra
2 dozen small game snares
fishing line and hooks
ripstop nylon cloth with some insta grommets for shelter
mild weather sleeping bag
5 pairs of socks
mess kit
aspirin
ibuprofin(anti-inflammatory)
ace wrap in case of a sprain
superglue for sealing cuts in my skin/repairs to equipment
needle/thread
toothbrush/toothepaste
contact solution/several pair of disposeable contacts
reading glasses
regular glasses
10' rope
50' of parachute cord
I like the pocket bible too. I have a small camo one I read on stand at times.

Last edited:
Good stuff so far folks. Looks like I made it too easy though. Sounds like we would be living well. Keep the ideas coming. I've noticed something important that we've all missed so far.
And speaking of surviving.........................
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4s0nzsU1Wg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4s0nzsU1Wg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Top Bottom