Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

swamp bucks

Hodge

So a buddy of mine got me and him permission to hunt 450 acres that hasn't been hunted in at least the past 5 years (I know, nothing is never not been hunted) so we walked it this weekend to remove any stands that might be hanging and check for deer sign, and hang some cameras. We only got to walk maybe 150 acres of it, no stands found. Guessing its 150 timber, 300 crop. The little timber I did walk was mostly all flooded timber. We really haven't had a ton of rain so I'm guessing this part of the timber must stay fairly wet. My question is, do the deer use this part of the timber? obviously they aren't going to bed in water. But I did happen to see a doe while in the flooded timber. The water was anywhere from 1-6" I would guess. I am going back this weekend to check out the rest of the property and hang a couple more cameras.

My advice is pray for a dry year! Haha! I hunted some flood plain in Illinois years back and when it was flooded it turned what little high ground was going through it into a deer highway. The deer still traveled through the flooded area, but not nearly as much as before. I know of guys that have had success hunting marsh/cattail ground though, but the ground had a natural travel corridor through it. If it truly hasn't been hunted in a while then you have that in your favor.

Should hold deer. Find the thick areas on the "ridges". They may only be a few inches or a foot higher than the rest of the land. They will bed and travel there more than likely. Get a canoe so you can get in there if it wet enough. I would guess deer will hide out there is pressured by the neighbors, thinking no one will want to try and get in there. Plus it sounds like it has been a refuge for a while.

Top Bottom