Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Swamp oaks

JNRBRONC

We planted a wind break around a field 7, maybe 8 years ago. I was happy to see that they had acorns last fall. I was out spot spraying thistles in between tress in the rows today so that I might be able to mow or spray between the rows. I happened to see that quite a few of the acorns have sprouted. Here's a couple of pics:
swampoak.jpg

A little oak under it:
swampoakseedling.jpg

I also planted a red oak today that I started from an acorn a month ago. I found the acorn in the yard and it looked like it was trying to split open. I put it in a pot of soil and it sprouted, so figured I get it planted out now to avoid transplant shock later. I could see that it had pointed leaves, which makes me think red oak. Black, red, white, I don't care as long as it is an oak.:way:

Cool!!!

I like seeing that oak regeneration!!! :)

The squirrels helped me out by planting some type of what looks like a white oak in my flower bed that is bricked on all sides, so it will be easy to transplant that oak this fall to the farm. Those pesky squirrels do come in handy sometimes, but more often than not they steal more from me than they put back...especially on walnuts!!

Dang! That's pretty good to have them producing in 8 years! I just planted 500 white swamp oaks so that's the kinda thing i like to hear!:way:

Swamp white oaks are far and away the most common oak on my place on the upland and bottoms so they must be pretty prolific acorn producers.

Here is a swamp white oak I found in 07 on my farm that was loaded with acorns. That was the "big freeze" when there were not any acorns so it must have bloomed after the fact. The date is wrong on the cam.

Swamp_White_Oak2.jpg

Great Pictures guys. How would you rate the drought tolerance & growth rate of the White Swamp Oaks in comparison to Bur or White oaks?

They are the most common oak on my farm and I do have bur oaks and white oaks in patches. They seem to be a great all around oak for upland or bottoms. I doubt they can handle anything too dry like a bur, but I could be wrong.

They grow pretty fast too.

Top Bottom