Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Swamp White Oak

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
I have read on a couple of sites that landowners that have planted Swamp White Oak seedlings or even acorns and have seen them grow and produce acorns in less than 10 years. If so, I think that make them a very attractive tree to plant. Has anyone had that success and/or please post pictures.

Thanks

I have not, but then again there are swamp white oaks all over my farm from the uplands to the creek bottoms...that tells me that they grow fast and have to produce a lot to be so numerous.

I have noticed bur oaks that are loaded with acorns on trees 6-8 feet tall so they should roughly be in that age range. Getting acorns next week off one such tree.

I have swamp whites producing acorns after being planted as bare root seedlings in 2003. I did have some burrs with acorns a couple years earlier than that, but the swamps are a much bigger tree and the burrs seem to be slowing down in growth. I understand from my forester that is completely to be expected. IMO, swamps are a great tree to plant and their acorns will be more desirable to critters than burrs.

I have swamp whites producing acorns after being planted as bare root seedlings in 2003. I did have some burrs with acorns a couple years earlier than that, but the swamps are a much bigger tree and the burrs seem to be slowing down in growth. I understand from my forester that is completely to be expected. IMO, swamps are a great tree to plant and their acorns will be more desirable to critters than burrs.

Turkey: How tall are the Swamp Whites that you planted in 2003? A lot of acorns or just a few? thanks,,

10-15 ft. tall Wish I knew how to get pics on here. Not a lot of acorns, but the planting is definitely attracting deer.

oaks

I have not, but then again there are swamp white oaks all over my farm from the uplands to the creek bottoms...that tells me that they grow fast and have to produce a lot to be so numerous.

I have noticed bur oaks that are loaded with acorns on trees 6-8 feet tall so they should roughly be in that age range. Getting acorns next week off one such tree.

Were the bur oaks regular seedlings? It seems to take many years to get acorns from burs here in MN? That is why I am trying more swamp whites and swamp bur oak hybrids, planted 50 and 100 of each this year to test them out. They both grew very fast...I do have a few swamp white oaks that are 4-5 years old and they are outpacing my bur oaks in growth.

I planted 5 swamp oaks in the back yard 15 years ago that are now 30 foot tall at least. Been producing acorns since they were about 5 years old or so. They are not to big this year. Started a 20 x 20 garden this year and the squirrels buried nuts last fall and i have 15 trees started in there now that are between 20 to 30 inches tall. I plan on giving them to family members this fall to transplant. Wish I had a bigger yard for more trees.

Were the bur oaks regular seedlings? It seems to take many years to get acorns from burs here in MN? That is why I am trying more swamp whites and swamp bur oak hybrids, planted 50 and 100 of each this year to test them out. They both grew very fast...I do have a few swamp white oaks that are 4-5 years old and they are outpacing my bur oaks in growth.

I am guessing they are regular bur's...they are growing wild and the acorns, caps, leaves, bark all say bur oak to me. Going to get some pics of the little one that is loaded next time I am back...its right off the highway on DOT land so its fair game for the picking. :D

swamp white acorns

If anyone wants to trade me some swamp white oak acorns for bur oak acorns I would be more than willing. I had a bumper crop of nice bur oak acorns behind my house.

Let me know

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Des Moines offers discount Swamp White Oaks

I read online that the Plant Some Shade Initiative in Des Moines offers tall 6-8 foot Swamp White Oaks for $30.

Limit 2 per person. Not sure if they still have some left or not.

You can also get Sugar Maple and Hackberry

www.greatoutdoorsfund.org

I think you have to be a resident of Des Moines or a suburb.

If I lived in that area, we would be buying as many as our family was allowed, that is a good price.

Swamp oaks grow fast- I've got some from IA DNR that were 5+ feet tall in about 2 years.

There is a 12 foot swamp white oak at a nursery near my town, it had 7-8 acorns on it.

I am heading over there today to buy it. I usually plant them in my yard or at my office for future acorn supply.

jw wildfire: thank you for the forester link!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Oak

10-15 ft. tall Wish I knew how to get pics on here. Not a lot of acorns, but the planting is definitely attracting deer.
jie1.jpg

jie2.jpg

jie4.jpg

How old is the tree Tony?

Top Bottom