Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SWI Pressure

Open Site

I hunt around Grant and Elliott and I have noticed a lot more hunters out this year. I haven't had any problems with anyone just seemed to be twice as many people out. This is great for the sport. May make it a little harder to shoot Buckzilla. What are others thoughts on more people hunting around your land/lease? good? bad?

Last edited:
I try and make as many friends as possible. Just so they know I am around and vice versa. I try to share my hunting beliefs, but certainly don't judge or pass them on to others necessarily.

Yep, I've notice an increase as well. Most of my spots have hunting neighbors close by. It can be great for the sport ( to an extent), but there are times that it can also make you want to take up a new hobby. I find its fun hunting around either Kids or Adults who have experienced quite a bit of success over time. Both don't seem to care whole lot about other people hunting around them and are generally more friendly. Probably, because the kids are just taking up the sport and are incredibly impressionable and the adult have already accomplish most of what the sport has to offer and have the wall space to prove it. Ofcourse, if they are married they also probably don't care because there wife won't let them mount any more deer :D

another question I have been pondering. With all this pressure what are everyones thoughts on taking deer that you would normally pass on? I have one on a cam that is really nice 150 plus and would be a hell of a deer next year but I dont believe he will make it through shotgun and late muzzy. Do I roll the dice and hope he survives or take him if I get the chance.

another question I have been pondering. With all this pressure what are everyones thoughts on taking deer that you would normally pass on? I have one on a cam that is really nice 150 plus and would be a hell of a deer next year but I dont believe he will make it through shotgun and late muzzy. Do I roll the dice and hope he survives or take him if I get the chance.

Roll the dice

Your call, but if he makes you happy this year, take him if given the chance...if he doesn't, let him walk and hope he makes it thru. I'm starting to believe in the ability of big boys making it to the next year. Have had one buck on camera the last 4 years, and I would have sworn he would be shot the first year I had pics. They don't get old/big by being stupid, or unlucky. I have another one on cam this year that I'm in the same boat as you with, but I'd probably be happier with him next year. If someone gets him this year, I'm sure they will be happy with him. Something tells me you'd be happier next year as well.

I agree that the increased pressure is everywhere, used to be late muzzy and bow season were only for the die hards, now it's widespread.

If you can seal the deal then shoot him. Unless you have unpressered ground and neighbors that are going to do the same then you will most likely regret it. Most of the places I hunt don't allow deer to make it to maturity. (Heavy hunter density) On one farm I went from getting 1-2 150+ deer on cam a year to none the last two years. It's your call, but that is my 2 cents.

Definitely seeing an increase in hunters and less mature bucks. I'm assuming the herd reduction as well as EHD losses play a big part in that. Used to be I would see several mature bucks a season now I might only see one or two.

Top Bottom