Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

Potted some RC Big Rock for observation. 10 or 12 days it's up. (Can't remember exactly what day I potted it.

Zero statification. Off to the races.

Screenshot_20240503_153814_Gallery.jpg

I had broadcast switch earlier this spring and intended to hit it with Simazine before green up. With the rains and the location of this particular field, I haven’t been able to spray yet. Is there a drop dead date (or more likely development stage) after which you shouldn’t spray Simazine on switch? If so, is there another opportunity or chemical which will provide some weed suppression later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had broadcast switch earlier this spring and intended to hit it with Simazine before green up. With the rains and the location of this particular field, I haven’t been able to spray yet. Is there a drop dead date (or more likely development stage) after which you shouldn’t spray Simazine on switch? If so, is there another opportunity or chemical which will provide some weed suppression later?

Duracor. It's awesome. Will clean right up and provide long lasting residual

Duracor. It's awesome. Will clean right up and provide long lasting residual
What’s duracor do in a nutshell? U use that instead of atrazine? I’ve never used Duracor & don’t know the nuts & bolts of it.
All native grasses pre and post?
Like any herbicides- there’s new ones all the time to learn & try! If it’s a big improvement - fantastic!!!

Duracor is a broadleaf herbicide. It has zero affect on any grass, miscanthus included. I see broadleaf wilting to death within a few hours. It has pretty long residual to the point of label saying 18 months before haying or running cattle.

I wouldn't use it just as a pre since atrazine is way cheaper.

For cleanup with residual..... duracor all day long.

As for somthing that's already been sprayed with 2,4d. I assume fine. Different class of chemical. As always, check label.

Duracor rate 16-20 ounces per acre.

I am getting ready to drill RC Big Rock into a couple areas that have SEVERE burdock weed problems. I have sprayed the heck out of these patches last few years with gly and 2,4-D but the burdock keeps coming back badly. How should I handle this? Spray one final time with gly and 2,4-D right before drilling RC and then spray with Duracor shortly after switch germinates and starts growing?

I went down and found no evidence of switch germination and thought I could cross the creek so I went for it. 4 quarts/acre of Simazine down. I’ll get some Duracor on order for later this summer if I need it.

I went down and found no evidence of switch germination and thought I could cross the creek so I went for it. 4 quarts/acre of Simazine down. I’ll get some Duracor on order for later this summer if I need it.

You may have some issues at that rate. Hopfully not.

Last edited:
I am getting ready to drill RC Big Rock into a couple areas that have SEVERE burdock weed problems. I have sprayed the heck out of these patches last few years with gly and 2,4-D but the burdock keeps coming back badly. How should I handle this? Spray one final time with gly and 2,4-D right before drilling RC and then spray with Duracor shortly after switch germinates and starts growing?
I might consider some aggressive tillage to eliminate burdock.

Top Bottom