Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

Planning on frostseeding my switch this weekend. Gonna spray simazine and gly at end of april, just curious how much simazine i should use and who else has results with simazine. If i recall last years switch frostseed emerged around the 2nd week of may. Thanks:drink2:

Simazine is not as effective as atrazine on heavy soils but reasonably effective on sandy soils. 2-4 quarts....2 on sand, 4 on clay soils will give decent results...:way:

Happened to be up at my quarter this morning. Saw a lot of deer tracks on the trail to the center pivot. I started looking around and saw 15 to 20 head running over the hill. Sure gave me a good feeling even if they were just passin' through.

Keystone - has Panoramic in 1 quart containers. (1) qrt w/ shipping $107.18 or $3.35 / oz.; (2) qrts w/shipping $192.72 or $3.01 / oz. (The more quarts the cheaper the price)

GenericHerbicides.com - has Panoramic in 1 gallon jugs. 1 gallon w/ shipping $289.77 or $2.26 / oz.

NaturChemstore.com - has Panoramic in 2.5 gallon jugs. 2.5 gallon w /shipping $519.19 or $1.62 / oz.

I have used Plateau/Panoramic (imazapic) for years now on mixed NWSG plantings and to release established switch and it's awesome! I use it at 8-12 ounces however to get great weed control all season long.

ISU has done testing and found that up to 4 ounces per acre is safe on new switch seedings (higher rates cause severe injury or death to new switch seedlings)

John Osenbaugh has found that two split application of 2 ounces each about 6 weeks apart is another safe way to use Panoramic on switch. My fear is that this will not be enough to give good weed control but since I have not tried it, I don't know?

I do know that Plateau/Panoramic is far more effective then atrazine especially on trash covered soils and I have many pics in the NWSG thread in Dbltree's Corner.

Lower rates will be effective on light sandy soils while higher rates will be needed on heavier soils. I would use 1 quart of gly along with a low rate of Panoramic applied in very late April to early May (NO LATER then May 5th!) then apply the second low does 6 weeks later.

Panoramic links...

Panoramic - 1 Quart

Panoramic 2.5 gallons

Panoramic 1 to 2.5 gallons

The low rates are something we'll have to test and report back the results this summer....;)

Some questions on burning switchgrass. I'm planning on burning our 3rd year CIR SG this year. I want to burn as late as possible to suppress any cool season grasses (not much in there at all) and give the SG as big a boost as possible. When would be the best time to burn? I was thinking late April/early May? Is it good to wait until the SG has an inch or two of new green growth, or is that too late? The SG will bounce right back if you burn it when it has an inch or two of new green growth, won't it?

Also, what conditions are best for a good and safe burn as far as air temps, wind speed, humidity, time of day, etc?

I'm excited to see how the 3rd year CIR turns out this year!

thanks!
<!-- / message -->

Some questions on burning switchgrass. I'm planning on burning our 3rd year CIR SG this year. I want to burn as late as possible to suppress any cool season grasses (not much in there at all) and give the SG as big a boost as possible. When would be the best time to burn? I was thinking late April/early May? Is it good to wait until the SG has an inch or two of new green growth, or is that too late? The SG will bounce right back if you burn it when it has an inch or two of new green growth, won't it?

Also, what conditions are best for a good and safe burn as far as air temps, wind speed, humidity, time of day, etc?

I'm excited to see how the 3rd year CIR turns out this year!

thanks!
<!-- / message -->

I usually burn just before green shoots appear but yes they will come right back if burned as it's starting to green up. I usually shoot for late April in my area :way:

What to spread if anything?

We pasture fall cows on a good portion of our land, but I have the good cover (the creak,river bottom, and woods) fenced off from the cattle for the wildlife. I would like to thicken the grass cover in these areas to provide some bedding for the deer. The weeds are minimal and the native grass is healthy. The on
Y thing I usually have to spray are thistles. My question is can I broadcast any type of grass without tearing up the soil? There is plenty of dirt showing where i have scraped the ground and piled up dead brush, etc. I am not looking for amazing results, just some thicker bedding cover until I am ready to give up some of the existing pasture and plant Nwsg in separate stands.

We pasture fall cows on a good portion of our land, but I have the good cover (the creak,river bottom, and woods) fenced off from the cattle for the wildlife. I would like to thicken the grass cover in these areas to provide some bedding for the deer. The weeds are minimal and the native grass is healthy. The on
Y thing I usually have to spray are thistles. My question is can I broadcast any type of grass without tearing up the soil? There is plenty of dirt showing where i have scraped the ground and piled up dead brush, etc. I am not looking for amazing results, just some thicker bedding cover until I am ready to give up some of the existing pasture and plant Nwsg in separate stands.

Any NWSG can be dormant/frost seeded onto untilled soils but you would have to kill the cool season grasses that are there now. NWSG cannot tolerate much competition from cool season grasses and broadleafs.

If there are natives there now then spraying with 1-2 ounces of Oust XP in early April while they are dormant will help release them.;)

Paul, can I spray oust xp right now on an area that I want to plant into swtich grass this year? I was hoping to plant now as well as spray oust xp right now. Then late april spray round up just to clean up the area before the switch germinates. Is there still enough time for the oust to "weaken" before the switch germinates in may? I am in central wisconsin, it seems we are always about 2 weeks behind you guys as far as temps/plantings. The frost just came out this last week and they are calling for low temps in the teens the next few days.

Paul, can I spray oust xp right now on an area that I want to plant into swtich grass this year? I was hoping to plant now as well as spray oust xp right now. Then late april spray round up just to clean up the area before the switch germinates. Is there still enough time for the oust to "weaken" before the switch germinates in may? I am in central wisconsin, it seems we are always about 2 weeks behind you guys as far as temps/plantings. The frost just came out this last week and they are calling for low temps in the teens the next few days.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it...you might get a way with a light does this early but read the label and see? I think it says 3 months but that is at a normal rate so check that first....;)

ok, well I'll stick to atrazine then... but I'll try a few small test areas with oust to see how it works. How about oust on 1 year old switch? What is the latest time I could spray oust on that? if at all?

I ordered some seed from Osenbaugh's today and originaly intended on buying a 50/50 CIR/Blackwell switch grass mix as well as some Big Bluestem to mix in the same area. However, after talking to John (Osenbaugh), he recommended going with CanLow switchgrass instead of the BB. He said that the CanLow reaches 9ft tall and stands up better than BB in the winter. John knows his stuff when it comes to natives, so I took his word for it and went with the 3 switch mix.
What is everyones opinion on Canlow? Did I make the right move? Canlow is 3 times as much per pound as blackwell :eek: $20... but I'm in snow country, so I'll pay extra for standability! I draw the line at $20 tho!
$60 per lb. for Prairie Cordgrass = :thrwrck:
Please PM me if anyone can find PCG cheaper:)

Last edited:
I have not planted Kanlow switchgrass but it is a taller switch then CIR, and I believe John when he says it will stand up better then BB. Give it a shot....we are always looking for a "guinea pig" around here...:D

When are you guys spraying your frost seeded switch? I frost seeded some switch the first part of march and then tilled some ground the last days in march that are gonna be put into clover. I want to let them weeds grow up in that tilled ground before I plant so I can spray and get rid of them but I also want to make sure and get my switch areas sprayed with roundup and atrazine before that starts gowing. If I head down around the week between the 16-23rd will that get both jobs done in 1 trip or should I spray switch this week and give the tilled ground another week or two to grow some weeds?

I'm going to spray this week as I'm turkey huntin the following week. Don't think it'll matter either week should be good.

Im gonna spray the week of the 15th. There is nothing there yet to spray where I planted this february.

Top Bottom