Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

I just frost seeded 5 acres of CIR Switch over the weekend. Went real good. I am planning the next step which is the spraying. I re-read thru the how to at the beginning of the post, but wanted to make sure I spray when I am supposed to and what I am supposed to.

Do spray the Atrazene first? then a couple weeks after that spray the roundup. Or is is vice versa. What can I watch for to get the timing right?

thanks again for all the help!!!

I waited until about mid april last time but the key is getting it sprayed after cool seasons start to green up and before warm seasons germinate. It seems like before it took a good stretch of 80 degree days to get switch to germinate so you have time in spring. One year that didnt occur until June but a couple years ago when it got real warm early I had switch growing begining of April. Just watch weather this spring. I mixed my atrazine and roundup together and sprayed all at once and it seem to work fine. Paul might have some more info on that.

I waited until about mid april last time but the key is getting it sprayed after cool seasons start to green up and before warm seasons germinate. It seems like before it took a good stretch of 80 degree days to get switch to germinate so you have time in spring. One year that didnt occur until June but a couple years ago when it got real warm early I had switch growing begining of April. Just watch weather this spring. I mixed my atrazine and roundup together and sprayed all at once and it seem to work fine. Paul might have some more info on that.

I attended a seminar a couple of years ago where two of the speakers were Dbltree himself and also John Osenbaugh, in other words, two of the foremost experts to be found on this subject anywhere. In John's presentation he gave May 10th date as the normal date each year where the warm season grasses like switch come to life and start growing for the season. So that is the rule of thumb that I have adopted.

BUT...as Scott said above, 2 years ago we had a really warm March and I too saw switch growing several weeks prior to May 10th. So you have to watch the weather and base off of that, but May 10th is a good date to watch.

I have safely sprayed Roundup on newly growing brome now a few times in the mid-April timeframe and as far as I know I never harmed any switch that was also present in the same field. So generally speaking, you should be safe spraying in the mid-to-late April timeframe, but watch your ambient conditions as described above and adjust accordingly.

I just frost seeded 5 acres of CIR Switch over the weekend. Went real good. I am planning the next step which is the spraying. I re-read thru the how to at the beginning of the post, but wanted to make sure I spray when I am supposed to and what I am supposed to.

Do spray the Atrazene first? then a couple weeks after that spray the roundup. Or is is vice versa. What can I watch for to get the timing right?

thanks again for all the help!!!

Spray both together about the end of April

Dormant seeding switchgrass

Jess had several farms that had to be dormant seeded to switchgrass this winter but both needed brush and locust trees dozed out first. Severely cold weather kept operators from starting their dozers at first (coldest winter in 140 years ) but they finally got the job done!

It worked out well as they scrapped off the snow and scuffed the surface, Jess broadcast Cave In Rock switchgrass seed from John Osenbaugh of Prairie Seed Farms and our local seed source Iowa-Missouri Hybrids in Keosauqua, Iowa at 6-8# per acre.

Freezing, thawing action will help incorporate the tiny seeds and cold wet chill from late winter rains and melting snow will stratify the hard seed allowing it to germinate when the soil warms (about May 10th in our area )

Herbicides should be applied in late April, ideally 1-2 quarts glyphosate and 2-4 qt's Atrazine per acre. Atrazine is a Restricted Use Pesticide meaning you can't purchase without a license so either study and take the test, have your local ag co-op apply it or spray gly and keep weeds clipped 8-12" high the first year.

Scott sent pictures of dormant seeding switchgrass

Never seed on deep snow but a few inches is perfect

A little snow allows you to see where you're going and determine seed coverage

We recently seeded switchgrass seed from John Osenbaugh and germination was 78%, pretty normal but note the very low germination on this tag!! (from an eastern source )

Things to ask about when comparing prices and deciding where to order seed ;)

I have two rows of cedars we planted. It is located between two crop fields. If i tried planting some switch between the rows of cedars I suppose when they sprayed the crops it would kill it?

I have two rows of cedars we planted. It is located between two crop fields. If i tried planting some switch between the rows of cedars I suppose when they sprayed the crops it would kill it?

Good chance of it, plus if the switchgrass catches on fire your cedars are toast ;)

Do you think it is too late to frost seed cir switchgrass this year or is there still time. It would be broadcast over a cut bean field . thanks

Do you think it is too late to frost seed cir switchgrass this year or is there still time. It would be broadcast over a cut bean field . thanks

You are a little past the ideal time, but I would still go ahead and get your seed down ASAP. It is still freezing at night and thawing a little by day, that's what you want. Ideally you would have gotten the seed down sooner to let the hard switch seed break dormancy better, but I have seeded successfully in early-to-mid March before. And this year is a little later coming out of winter than most times.

It's border line but could still work, I prefer at least 30 days of freezing/thawing but a couple weeks might do the trick

Can somebody get a little deeper on the CIR corn Combo how effective is this. I think it is a great Idea but seems odd since you don't want to apply nitrogen the seedling year I would think the corm would severely effect the amount of CIR germination.. Please give me info on any body who has done this please. Thanks

Spraying crp

I had my CRP fields planted last April and mowed it 3 times throughout the year. I seem to have alot of foxtail in it. Can/should i spray it this yea? If so what should i use and when shouold i spray it?

Thanks

I had my CRP fields planted last April and mowed it 3 times throughout the year. I seem to have alot of foxtail in it. Can/should i spray it this yea? If so what should i use and when shouold i spray it?

Thanks

It should be fine as is now without knowing what species were planted I can't recommend any herbicides.

going to clean up a old stand of switch with gly can i go ahead and add some 24d or do I have to wait

Wait until late May when broadleaves like golden rod are growing well before applying 2-4D.

We use gly and SFM-75 ( Oust XP) in mid April when cool season grasses are greening up but native warm season grasses have not yet started growing.

That combination will clean up established NWSG in 1 spraying!

Oust is now the preferred tank mix w/ gly for established switch? In past posts there's been recommendations for Plateau/Panoramic w/ gly. I've got Panoramic on hand and I've got a switch plot I established last year, this will be it's second season, should I bite the bullet and buy some Oust or can I use the Panoramic?

Oust is now the preferred tank mix w/ gly for established switch? In past posts there's been recommendations for Plateau/Panoramic w/ gly. I've got Panoramic on hand and I've got a switch plot I established last year, this will be it's second season, should I bite the bullet and buy some Oust or can I use the Panoramic?

Panoramic will work but use only 6 ounces per acre 2nd year

Does atrazine have a shelf life? My neighbor has an unopened 2.5 gallon jug he said he could give me but he said it's been there a while...

Top Bottom