Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sycamore tree planting caution

turkeyriver

PMA Member
I see where someone is doing a tree planting with sycamores in the mix. I did a planting in 2003 of mixed species of trees, including sycamores. The sycamores grow EXTREMELY fast and quickly shade out everything next to them, especially oaks. Remember also that sycamores mature into huge trees with large canopies. If you plant them, make sure you leave enough room around them. I have been cutting mine back to the ground so the oaks can compete. They're beautiful trees, but plan for their size!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turkeyriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I see where someone is doing a tree planting with sycamores in the mix. I did a planting in 2003 of mixed species of trees, including sycamores. The sycamores grow EXTREMELY fast and quickly shade out everything next to them, especially oaks. Remember also that sycamores mature into huge trees with large canopies. If you plant them, make sure you leave enough room around them. I have been cutting mine back to the ground so the oaks can compete. They're beautiful trees, but plan for their size! </div></div>

That's great information...thanks!

sycamore.jpg

That's a tree I don't think I would have any interest in planting but for those that do it's good know just how big they get and how fast they grow.

American Sycamore Tree

Good for turkey roosting, looks, diversity AND if you OBVIOUSLY have a need for a fast growing tree. I am incorporating a small amount for above reasons while planting an extremely higher number of other stuff. I like em and they can't hurt if you have the room!

Top Bottom