Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tagged buck Controversy

At least someone did not hit the deer with their vehicle considering it liked to stand on the road and lick peoples bumpers. The owners probably would not be too crazy about paying for the damage to someone vehicle or any personal injury that might have occured if this happened.

Long and short of it is, the deer is dead and it was legally harvested.

I would hate to be on the end of this as the hunter having to pay money to hire a lawyer to keep a deer that he legally harvested.

Like previously stated, you cant tell if a deer is tame by how it walks. The guy was "still" hunting and he saw and shot a nice buck. What was he suppose to do, let it walk by just "incase" it was the tame buck? If everything was legal as the DNR says it was, then congrats to him on a nice animal.

Why would you put up more of a fight for a 190 class deer than a 135? It's "suppose" to be all about the hunt and taking a mature deer, regardless of what his final score is. I think we're straying farther and farther away from that.

Did the owner ever report the missing buck to the DNR once the fence was destroyed? If they only had 4 deer, you would think that one would notice the missing buck. I would have called immediatly. I say it was fair game.

Go back and read the previous posts, these questions were answered. Yes the buck was reported missing several weeks before it was shot and many people including the owner were trying to get it back. Kerry didn't just skip off to Canada ignoring the buck; he had been working hard along with several others for several weeks to get the buck back. Pretty much everyone around this area knew of the buck and where it was hanging out. As far as I know the buck had never been seen on the nearest public ground. The landower said that Craig had been scoping out his property for days, constantly driving by. Then it just happens that Craig knew the landowner that has been protecting the buck was going to be out of town for a couple days. And that's when he shoots the tame buck, supposedly on public land. You can see why there are rumors about how this actually happened. There is more to this story than what has been reported in the paper, and I am not going to spread the rumors in a public forum. I'm just saying that those of you who seem to be so eager to jump to Craig's defense might want to reconsider, given that you have a very small amount of information.

The nagging question remains... even if you shot the buck legally on public ground, (which is up for debate and most people are convinced that is not how it happened) once you saw the tag in the ear and you realized you had shot Kerry's buck, why wouldn't you just give it back when he asked for it? Why would you want a tame, bottle-fed, pet buck with a tag in its ear on your wall? That's the real question here.

what ever happened to common decency? and respect for others? (thats why i love this site is because of the good people on it) this kind of thing is what gives hunting a bad name. this is why people are so reluctant to talk about where they hunt because people are afraid of others hording in on their hunting spot, when it shouldn't be that way. like iowa1 said i still don't know why you shoot a deer with a tag it its ear. i just remember reading stories of someone who did that to a tagged dnr deer in iowa and they through the book at him.

If they were that worried about there deer and everyone seemed to know the area it was in, and the land owner was watching it for him. Why didn't they get a buch of people together to help round him up. If it was that big a deal you wouldn't be in Canada hunting. You'd be at home looking for your deer. Can't be to hard to catch if he stands around and licks salt of of cars bumpers. ( witch is a little hard to believe) If he's used to being feed, Drop of a pail of grain everyday in that area, He'll start coming up to it everytime you stop by. It is to bad for the guy who lost his (pet) deer. But that is a chance you take when raising deer, elk, etc. If one or two get out, they may get shot before you can catch them.

[ QUOTE ]
Go back and read the previous posts, these questions were answered. Yes the buck was reported missing several weeks before it was shot and many people including the owner were trying to get it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry- I thought I read all of the posts. Obviously I didn't. If that deer was as doscile as it sounds, it's sad that he was killed. After rereading, I would say that he should have contacted Kerry as soon as he saw the tag in the ear. As the owner, I think it would be sad to mount it in my own wall. What a terrible story.

Again, I got no dog in this fight. If the deer had been hit by a car would the owner of the deer have paid for the damages to the car since it was caused by his pet? We'll never know for sure.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you want a tame, bottle-fed, pet buck with a tag in its ear on your wall? That's the real question here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I for one wouldn't want it on my wall...you said it only scored about 130!
evil.gif
(Being sarcastic!)

I won't go into the whole preserve hunting deal...but, what's the difference?
People do it all the time...they just have to pay for them.
grin.gif

On a serious note, when I have calves get out of a fence, the whole neighborhood is out in full force
and I go crazy until they are back in.
blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
There is more to this story than what has been reported in the paper, and I am not going to spread the rumors in a public forum. I'm just saying that those of you who seem to be so eager to jump to Craig's defense might want to reconsider, given that you have a very small amount of information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well...unless the information that you and others know about is actually found to be true and is verified, then what you speak of is pure speculation I would imagine. I'm just taking a wild stab at the situation and the info your keeping underwraps. Obviously you know more being so close to the situation. But would you hold the same opinion as to what should be now done with this buck if the owner wasn't a personal friend of yours? Maybe..maybe not. It's not really a question that you have to answer, but the majority here seems to think the buck should stay with the one who shot it. I'm certainly not taking any shots at anyone...just throwing my hot air out there.
grin.gif

In my opinion the deer should go to the guy that shot it, once it was out of the pen it was a free roaming deer like any other. If it was on private property when he shot it, then nail him for that. Now if he had any morals he would give the damn thing back to the guy that owned it when he found out it was tame. My take on it is he knew it was tame when he shot it and that's the whole reason he's not giving it back, not because it's a monster by any means.

Hey all,
I had heard, a week or two before deer season, that Kerry had lost his buck out of his pen. Guess I didnt think much about it till I had heard it had been shot. My guess is knowing what I do about the communities, and the people involved in the area this buck was taken I have a few thoughts of my own.

As far as whether Craig shot it on public or private at this point is beyond anyone's control and will do neither person any good to argue over it. Unless someone can prove that Craig took it off the private land. The DNR is out of it at this point, which I understand to mean the buck was taken legally in the eyes of law; whether it was or not will be in question for a long time.

Whether he shot it knowingly that it was Kerry's buck or not only Craig knows. Even if he did shoot in knowingly, is it against the law IF it was on public property?

As far as getting a mount on the wall with the ear tag. Apparently Craig feels that this was a trophy worthy of getting mounted irregardless of the ear tag. This kinda falls under the personal opinion thing, why do people poach big bucks then get them mounted?

Regarding the story having anything to do with Deer/Elk Ranchers and what deer are worth I think the writer is trying to show to someone who doesnt know that the Kerry's buck was worth money and this is not just some misc. animal.

In my opinion:
Lawfully: Deer goes to hunter as it was taken legally.
Morally: Craig should give the rack back.

Im not saying I think the deer was taken legally or not; or that Craig shot the buck knowing or not knowing it was Kerry's buck.

Dean

I'm going to keep my opinion to myself on this one, however I do have a question. If he gives the mounted buck back to the owner, or if the court awards the mounted buck to the owner, should the owner reimburse the hunter for the cost of the mount?

Just curious - What was the original owner planning on doing with the rack? Was he going to mount his "pet" deer, or sell the "pet" deer's rack on ebay or what?
I'm not taking side because I don't care but we seem to be putting all the focus on the hunter and not the original owner. The deer is already dead, why would the owner want just the rack back unless it's more of a money issue then anyone is saying.

Another thought... I know they have GPS tracking chips for dogs, so if this deer was a pet, why not attach a tracking chip to the ear tag?

The ORIGINAL owner has NO chance in HECK!! My friend J . Feiger would propably represent him for FREE also!!! Sorry your pet deer got loose, but to quote the GREAT hunter Sasha Siemel, If it's Brown it's DOWN!!!!

Dean I agree with you on all counts. And I doubt that Kerry will sue to get the buck back; I don't think he really wants it for any reason other than just that he's angry about what happened here. I don't see him wanting to spend that kind of money just on principle. I think he will cool off and this thing will go away, and a lot of us will be left with a lot of questions about Craig Keefe's character. IMHO that's where it will end.

Kerry used to have many, many deer, and it was a time-consuming hobby so he has scaled way back. He now has only one buck and two does and I get the sense that, as much as he loves being around whitetails, he is tiring of it and this last episode might be the beginning of the end. I for one hope he doesn't get out of it because I really enjoy going over there and observing the deer behavior through the year, and my kids get a kick out of seeing the bucks and feeding them through the fence.

I have about five acres I always thought I would love to turn into a deer pen but I don't have the money to put up the fence or buy the deer.

[ QUOTE ]
What did he do with the deer he had when he scaled back?

The 'Bonker

[/ QUOTE ] Turned em loose?
threaddevil.gif

[ QUOTE ]
and a lot of us will be left with a lot of questions about Craig Keefe's character.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to forget when you feel like you, a friend or family member has been screwed over by someone. I guess its something he will have to live with it the rest of his life if he purposely hunted that particular deer.

If I had a big buck walk under my stand and I was on public ground or ground I had permission to hunt it would be hard to pass up. Unless the bling in his ear was hot pink that would be the last thing I would be looking for.

Top Bottom