Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tagged out in Iowa - 2 bow birds

Bow Ben

When you are hot you keep hunting. I took my youngest son Wyatt out Saturday morning to the same spot where I shot my bird last weekend since I knew there were still several big toms in that area. Set up in the same spot and waited. The birds were not gobbling at all Saturday morning which is unusual for this spot, did not hear the first gobble until at least 45 minutes after daylight. I looked out the back of the blind there were 2 big toms strutting about 100 yards out. I did some light calling and they slowly came our way gobbling every once in a while. They finally worked their way around to the front of the blind and strutted up to the decoys. At one point they were probably only 7 yards from the blind but for some reason they got a little nervous and started walking away from the blind not giving me a good shot. Finally I got one to slow down just enough for a shot at about 22 yards and I drilled him dead center through the chest. He tried to run back into the timber but didn’t make it, he only went 30-35 yards and he was done. Not quit as heavy as the one I got last weekend but still a very nice tom, his beard was actually a little longer. I’m out of tags so now I can sleep in next weekend.

This one was 22 pounds, 11 inch beard, and 1 inch spurs. Two big toms in 6 days with a bow....gotta love Iowa.

picture.php

A view from the blind and Wyatt going to recover the bird to the far left.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

....and the bird from May 5th. 25 pounds, 10.25 inch beard, 1 inch spurs.
picture.php

Top Bottom