Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tagged out in Kansas

Kansasdeerslayer

PMA Member
Well, after knocking one down on the KS opener, I have spent the last several sits running the camera for a couple of friends. We had some good hunts, with birds in camera range, but not quite close enough for an arrow. Sunday noon my partner decided to go home and spend the rest of the day with his girlfriend, so I figured I would brave the 30-40 mph winds and head to the spot deep in the woods where I killed my first bird. I planned to sit till dark and hope they were roosting nearby, as they usually were. It was hot and miserable, and the ticks were crawling all over me all afternoon. Several times I questioned why I wasn't at home enjoying a cold one, but I knew I wouldn't get lucky on the couch.

The afternoon dragged on and not a bird to be seen or heard all day. I ran 2 phone batteries dead playing games and reading the IW moblie site(which I just found out about 3 days ago, it rocks!!!). An hour before dark I finally heard a gobble a long ways off, but it was what I needed to keep my sanity. I had spent about 12 hours in the blind at that point and was mentally wearing down. But then I heard nothing else for the rest of the day. With about 10 minutes of legal light left, I thought about beginning to take down the camera and pack the bags. For some reason I talked my self into toughing it out. I had just sat the whole damn day and I wasn't gonna quit 10 minutes early...and boy was that the right decision.

I caught movement out in the thick stuff about 60 yards away. Quickly grabbing the binos, I identified my bird, big tom!!! A couple light yelps to get his attention, and it was on! I quickly flipped on the camera, and tried to ready myself. He was coming, but he was too far to the right for the camera to pick him up. Finally at 30 yards he entered the frame and I followed him in. He was coming straight for my half strut jake and submissive hen. At 20 yards I drew my Hoyt, and the dang thing creaked! The tom froze for a second, but then proceeded to the lady on the ground. I had him at 15 yards quartering to me and starting to go into full strut when I let it fly. He tipped straight over and never moved again!! I just tagged out in Kansas with 4 minutes of legal light left, and I got my first kill on film! I was overjoyed to say the least. I have had a very rough career as a turkey hunter until this season, but am thrilled to be done with 2 nice birds on the ground. And this was my best bird to date, by any method. 23 lbs, 10 1/4" beard, 1 1/4" spurs. Some 10pm harvest photos rapped up the day and the season!!!

As soon as I figure out how to edit the video footage I will post it up.

DSC04777.jpg

DSC04784.jpg

DSC04786.jpg

Top Bottom