Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tagged Out

jjohnson

This year I spent the first 3 turkey seasons in Mexico getting married. It wasn't easy but Mexico was great too. After a long day of traveling on the 28th we got home at 7pm that night. On the 29th at 5am I was in a blind with a couple buddies and witnessed Brent get his bow bird. After that the days passed and I hadn't been able to get out. To much work to catch up on. On the evening of the 3rd I decided to go for a walk with nothing but a gun, fan, and a mouth call. It wasn't long and I spotted a bird out in a planted corn field. He wouldn't respond to the calls so I showed him the fan. That got his attention real quick and 75 yds later he was flopping 15 yds in front of me.

Now I love to bowhunt turkeys but it was sure nice to not have to lug 80lbs of gear around and the fan trick can be very exciting. My next hunt was yesterday morning the 8th of May. I dropped my daughter off at school and headed to the woods again toting the shotty and the fan. No birds to speak of. After work last night I quick drove to the same farm and from an adjacent gravel road I can survey the fields. I spotted a big ol Tom and the stalk was on. Several hundred yards later I got setup to cut him and his hen off. The hen worked past 100 yds out but when he topped the hill and seen the fan it was game on.

This kill was more or less self defense as I dropped the fan and basically hip shot him at 5yds. This hunt was an absolute blast and I will definitely be killing a few more birds with the trusty fan.

First bird was a dink. 20 1/2 lbs. No spurs what so ever.
Second bird was 22 lbs 12 oz. 10 1/2" beard 1" and 7/8" spurs.

DSC00818.jpg

DSCN0980.jpg

5-9-201272823AM.jpg

Thats my partner. :way:

Congratulations on the marriage and beautiful daughter.
She definitely received your wife's good looks. :D

Congrats on a great season and a great bird.

It was short and sweet with the fan and definitely effective. :drink1:

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Congrats brother. Way to finally get it done!

The turkey hunts sounded fun too :D Congrats

You really don't clean up to bad my friend...congrats on the wedding. Looks like a blast.
Awesome job on the turks too.

Top Bottom