Tagged out...

Buckmaster14

Took my gf out this morning. She had never been turkey hunting before and has asked/reminded me for the past 3 months that she wanted to go. We had a bad storm last night with strong wind, trees down, power had been out at the house since lunch time. I still had my blind set up, at the field, and didn't bother to put any stakes in it. I just knew that we would get down there and my blind would be in a tree with the turkeys and my decoys I had stored in it would be floating in the pond down in the horse pasture.
Surprisingly enough... it hadn't moved. So I got the decoys out, set them in the field and put casey in the blind. I found a tree in the edge of the woods next to her and scratched out a spot.
As it broke daylight and the woods started to wake up... I was kinda disappointed. The cold front that had moved in overnight had the birds tight lipped... not what I wanted for her first turkey hunt. Finally... I hear a bird way off to my left. I text her on her phone and ask if she heard it... of course she didn't... it gobbles every 5 minutes or so, then stops after fly down.
About 6:45, a shot sounds off in the direction of that bird... to my knowledge there isn't any land in that direction that close that allowed hunters, so I am about 80% sure it was a hunter that got dropped off on the road and walked in. Anyways, she tells me " That guy just got one, now its your turn"
I yelped a couple times and didn't get a response, so I took a break and ate a candy bar. After my snack, I put my mouth call back in and yelped a few times and mixed in a few excited cuts. Still no response. At this point I still have my facemask on top of my head. Im looking at my phone and hear my gf gasp. I look up in the field and 2 turkeys are walking towards the decoys.. already at 30 yards... o sh#t. I can see that one is a hen and the other has a beard about 5 or 6 inches long... I thought that a tom could be trailing behind these 2 birds and could show up any minute, so I had to quickly cover my face back up with the hen and jake inspecting my decoy spread at 15 yards. How I managed to do that with out them busting me, is beyond me.
A few minutes pass and nothing else has showed. The birds are now past my decoys and standing about 25 yards. I yelp a couple times to see if any other turkeys might be in the area... no response. I decided that for her first turkey hunt with me... a jake would be ok... so I shouldered my shotgun and cocked the hammer. I settled the bead and sent #4s his way. The bird hit the dirt. I get up and walk over to the blind and all I see when I look in is her smiling... Completely worth it.

Back