Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Take him out of the gene pool?

Elitebowhunter

5846-011.jpg

Old deer. I have pictures of him from almost 3 years ago when he wast just a pup. The left beam is much longer than the right. Wont score worth a crap prob 120 or so. Take him out if I get the chance?

also, the time and date is off. ...only by a year though:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Old deer. I have pictures of him from almost 3 years ago when he wast just a pup. The left beam is much longer than the right. Wont score worth a crap prob 120 or so. Take him out if I get the chance?

Anytime I can get a good shot at an old warrior like that I will take it. Very unique mature deer, I would definitely find a spot on my wall for a buck like him. :)

If your looking for score with your deer, your right pry won't score worth a darn, if you looking to harvest mature deer.....Smack him, he looks mature for sure. Take him out of the gene pool? If he's old chances are he's already spread his genes, I could be wrong but I think I remember reading that unless you have a 1000's of acres of land that you can manage, culling doesn't really work. Regardless though awesome buck, I'd be tickled pink to stink an arrow through the pump station on that gramp.

i'd take him out, you might not be able to get all the bad genes out but you can make a dent on them. Awesome looking buck. Like posted above, anytime you get a chance at a old warrior like this deer you should take it. He's been around for a while, if you outsmart him then you've accomplished something

Wisconsin is studying deer dispersal ranges and movements right now. I concur with the post that says culling will likely not produce any significant change. 1 deer in their study so far relocated 15 miles. That's not to say you shouldn't shoot one you think is less than desirable. I agree with the others though, if that's a mature buck, there's no reason not to be satisfied with him. I'll even make a wager you can't kill him this year yourself, just to make it interesting. :)

Is his rack like that every year? If it is, you might as well get rid of him.

If it isn't like that every year, give him till next year and see what he looks like.

Is his rack like that every year? If it is, you might as well get rid of him.

If it isn't like that every year, give him till next year and see what he looks like.

I didn't put a cam on this farm last year or the year before. 3 years ago I did and had this guy when he was a 2.5 show up. Same exact thing. Minus all the points. Just too bad his left beam wasnt as developed as his right beam. I gave him the name nemo.... self explanatory

He's a cool deer with character. Unless you have a hitlist full of booners, I see no reason not to shoot him.

Top Bottom