Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

taking the first shot................

Boonie Rat

That presents itself. that was the plan yesterday morning. started out at 6 a.m. slogging my way out to my stand on some public ground. heard a bunch of yotes yipping and carrying on. bounced a bunch of pheasants out of the grass in the dark and fog, always a rush. get to my stand and settle in about 10 minutes before shooting light. see a doe come into the timber about 50 yds out, just browsing along, angling away. let go a couple of snorts and pretty soon here she comes. passes behind a tree at 30 yds so i stand up and grab my bow. passes behind another tree and i draw. she enters the lane and i release the arrow and hear the hit at 10 yds. she goes about 40 yds and keels over. the beaman carbon hunter tipped with a venom viper 100 blew thru 2 ribs for a double lung hit. called a buddy and field dressed and hauled her home in the rain. it was while skinning her in the garage we noticed that she was really a he. i noticed 2 nubs on his head and a plumbing inspection revealed that yes, it was indeed a button buck. thus ends my bow season for the year, no antlers for the wall, but venison for the freezer.

I have stopped shooting small dear that are alone, almost every time that I have it turns out to be a button buck.
crazy.gif

I seen two different bucks yesterday that had dropped one side already.

You didnt notice that it had 'the jewels' when you gutted it?
Congrats on a perfect shot and filling the freezer.

[ QUOTE ]
I seen two different bucks yesterday that had dropped one side already.

Congrats on a perfect shot and filling the freezer.

[/ QUOTE ]

oddly enough i didn't. it was raining pretty good and windy. plus the 3/4 mile drag got me in a hurry to get out of the rain. me and my buddy both missed it.

meat is meat,
you should saw that skull plate off and make a nice little plaque with little devil horns on it......
grin.gif

i have killed plenty of button bucks myself, no shame in it....some of the best eatin meat there is
Congrats
cool.gif

What can i say, we both missed it. wasn't really paying attention i guess. doesn't matter. the plan was meat for the freezer. mission accomplished.

I also have a problem with shooting the nubbers. Downed 4 of them this year and all 4 I thought were does. In fact, one of them was directly underneath my stand and I was looking at it with 10 power binoculars just to make sure it wasn't a button... thought it wasn't, shot it, and found out it was a nubber... lesson learned. From here on out I'm only shooting antlerless deer that I have witnessed nursing their young. It's the only way- at least for me.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it was an "antlered" doe
grin.gif

Seriously though, I've learned a couple of rules of thumb when it comes to buttons: 1) a lone antlerless deer is almost always a button buck (as noted in a post above) and 2) a group of fawns with no adult deer is a "bachelor group" of buttons (found this one out the hard way when my BIL mowed down 3 "does" to fill out some antlerless tags a couple of years ago)

Most on here are into letting smaller bucks go so they can grow, including button bucks.I think your original post led most of us to believe you shot it assuming it was a doe, so posters began giving advice on picking out button bucks. I dont think anyone was trying to tell you what to shoot, most on here have no problem with any legal harvest. Congrats on a full freezer!
grin.gif

I'm all for lettin' 'em grow up. passed up more than a couple 120's to 130's waiting for old mossy horns,only too find them later during and after shotgun season dead . gut shot and left laying. QDM doesn't work if you're the only one practicing it.

anyways, i truly thought he was a doe. my bad i guess.

Top Bottom