Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tall Annual Grass

iowabruce

Hey Gang,
I am in the need of an annual grass that I can plant this spring as a screen on one side of a food plot. The taller the better. Any suggestions? People driving by our land always are stopping to look at the food plot and watch the deer,but they can only see a small section of the plot. I guess I'm looking for something Hardy, fast and tall. Thanks.
Bruce

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Gang,
I am in the need of an annual grass that I can plant this spring as a screen on one side of a food plot. The taller the better. Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Corn, and forage sorghum make good screens. Sorghum will fall later in the season...right when you need it most.

Egyptian wheat is a good screen that's easy to grow. It's been quite a few years since I planted it but I don't remember having any problems with it.

Somewhere I have read that it could become somewhat of a "weed", however it never came back up when I planted it.

Could be a problem in southeren states where cold weather doesn't kill it off...and it becomes more then just an annual
smirk.gif

Here's some links and perhaps others will have more ideas as well.

Egyptian Wheat

Eqyptian Wheat info

Guess you even buy it on Ebay
smirk.gif

Egyptian Wheat seeds

Egyptian Wheat source

I bought some EW seed through Cooper seeds website. There was some volunteer the next year but I just left it standing for a couple years then spread clover seed in it.

[ QUOTE ]
Dbltree,
Did you broadcast the seed when planting or drill?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tilled it, broadcast the seed and the ran the packer over it.

A drill would work fine but not needed. It's fairly small seed kinda like a millet seed.

Pretty easy stuff to plant...stir up some dirt and plant it!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Don't plant as early as corn & beans- it likes warm dirt

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like I planted it in late May...does that sound about right pharmer?

[ QUOTE ]
How bout sudangrass?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sudangrass is a good screen also but like sorghum it tends to go down later in the fall.

Guess I'd have to plant some side by side to see which stayed standing longer.

Not sure what a mix would be like?
cool.gif

Thanks everyone, 10 pounds of Egyptian wheat on it's way to Waterloo. I'll take pictures this summer.

Top Bottom