Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tanned hide, hair on?

River1

I'd like to have a deer hide tanned hair on, with the finished hide soft so it can be draped over a chair. Can anyone recommend a person or business they've had experience with that does quality work?

Thanks

You might call a local taxidermist and ask him for advice on where to send it in. I remember a guy sent 1 in a few years ago and it came back very soft and clean & I think it cost under $50.

I don't recommend doing it yourself unless you are very patient and don't mind taking a chance on a failure or two before you get the hang of it. If you ever do decide to do your own, I highly recommend getting a chrome tanning kit from some place like Tandy Leather, before trying any home brew recipes.

IaCraig

River, I took 3 deer capes in today to be tanned and remembered your post. I asked him if he did out of state work. He said 90% of all there work is out of state. If your interested, the company name is:

Tanning Unlimited
R.R. 1, Box 1090
Highway 64
Hermitage , Mo. 65668
(417) 745-6974

He told me that it was $35.00 (plus shipping) to tan a whitetail hide. When you ship it mark the box "Contents Frozen". It takes about 6 months to get it back and it's delivered to you C.O.D. They do a great job and the hides are extremely soft.

Top Bottom