Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Target Panic?

pwrgraphics

PMA Member
I've noticed this year that I am having a problem holding my sight pin on the target. I'm holding good about 5" below what I'm aiming at. I slowly bring the pin up to the target and when it's there, I release. Would you consider that Target Panic? Also when I draw the bow with my release and no arrow, I can hold on the target all day long. It's weird. Also, I noticed that if it's been a while since I've shot, I usually hit a few inches high. Is that because my sights are set up to compensate for my aiming low? What could cause this? Weight of the bow? Poundage set too high? I really don't remember having this problem until I got a new bow. Any ideas?

Yep, it's all in your head, I've experienced the same type of deal myself. If you shoot with only one eye open, try shooting with both open. Focus on the target, not the pin. You should almost get to the point where your pin blurrs a little because your focusing on the target so much. Start back at ten yards and force your arm to start a little higher than the target and slowly come down. Hopefully this helps out.

I would suggest pulling your bow high on the target and bringing your pin downward to the point you want to shoot. I would hate to classify anything as target panic....I think that just makes the "issues" worse. I should probably take my own advice but, feel more comfortable coming up from the bottom.

This sounds weird, but focus more on a smooth, surprise release and aiming will begin to take care of itself. Also, like has already been mentioned, shooting with both eyes open helps a ton.

Focus on your target and dont try to hold right on your target. Just like shooting a rifle, squeeze the trigger until it just goes off. Dont try to anticipate the shot, let it surpise you.

sounds like classic target panic to me ... like these guys already stated work toward a "surpise release" by squeezing or solid back tension through the shot.

Thanks for bringing this up, dude. you reminded me of the little problem i had getting of the string with my fingers. had too switch to a release and practically start over. gotta be more zen about it. shoot when the arrow wants too be shot. or try breathing thru your eyelids. point is, turn your brain off and let it happen.

I'll have to agree with what is being said....shooting with both eyes open is extremely crucial in fixing your problem...also, like it was said earlier, start your sight above your target and bring the sight down to it....simple logic behind this is that gravity pulls down not up and it is much easier on your stabilizer muscles to let the bow fall into place instead of having to fight gravity to bring the bow up to the target....that alone could help you a lot....

I appreciate everyone's insight. I've been shooting a couple dozen arrows a day with my eyes closed so I can concentrate on my release. It seams to really be helping.

Top Bottom