Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Target Panic

Great!!! I had never heard of this until now. Now I'm gonna be worried that I might catch it. Is it contagious? Can I get it by shooting next to somebody who has it? What kind of precautions should I take so I don't catch it?

Yes and Yes. Plug your ears when anyone starts talking about it.:D

I'm serious btw....

I used to be a drive by shooter. Or I would lock low or lock high. I think I had every aspect of panic there was. Back Tension is probably the best cure but takes a ton of time and practice. I've tried lots of things like shooting close range at a blank bale, holding on the target and then letting down. All of these can help but TARGET PANIC is 100% MENTAL. When I'm shooting spots or 3d I talk myself through each shot. Really just slowing every aspect of the shot down. Everybody's different so keep trying things. Maybe even take a break for a week or two. Or shoot 1/2 as many arrows. Good Luck

Last edited:
Great!!! I had never heard of this until now. Now I'm gonna be worried that I might catch it. Is it contagious? Can I get it by shooting next to somebody who has it? What kind of precautions should I take so I don't catch it?

LOL :D Really the only thing you can do to be sure it won't be a problem for you is to give your bow to someone else. Tough medicine, sure, but better safe than sorry. :D

I got my friend into bow hunting and for fun we started to shoot tic tac toe. We kept decreasing the size of the squares till they were just one inch. After 100's of arrows I developed a horrible case of target panic and tried many ways(some mentioned here) and could not overcome it. I now shoot a crossbow. Have yet to pull the trigger with it(at an animal) but can't wait. My time in the tree has been as fun as with the long bow and am looking forward to the upcoming season.

Good luck with your case.

Target panic can happen with a gun as well as with a bow. "Anticipation" of the shot going off. The quickest cure for it with a bow is to simply buy and learn to shoot a back tension release. It can be tricky but you can also do it with the release you have now too. Pull or push on the trigger by slowly making a fist. Better yet, use your back instead of your thumb or finger to put pressure on the trigger. Slowly put pressure on your gun or release trigger. Keep adding pressure until it surprises you. More pressure when you are on target, maintain when you are off, more when you are back on, quit and start all over if needed. You need to be surprised each and every time it goes off. This is tricky but still doable with rapid fire such as firing off a clip in a pistol or emptying out the tube in a .22.

Top Bottom