Targeting an individual buck

PointBlank

In addition to the "acquired target" thread, I thought it would be interesting to hear some advice, some lessons learned, or some past experiences that guys had when they have targeted an individual animal.
This will be the first year that I have really made an effort to go after a particular buck. Post season scouting helped me learn who had survived and learn much more about how they had survived.

I got wrapped up in a big buck last year, and passed up many awesome bucks, im never gonna target a buck in my life again. If you can't kill them within the first 3 days of the season, I think it is pointless to hunt a single buck. Too much can happen, unless you know for a fact he is in your timber everyday, and there is nowhere else he can live. Or no chance of anyone else shooting him. To me it got to the point where I was passing up bigger deer than I ever shot so it got frustrating and took the fun out of it pretty fast. I'm never doing it again, the first pig that walks by that fits the bill, im taking
grin.gif

During bow season I spend at least 5 nights or morning in the woods and for me it is a release by getting away to the woods.

During my scouting I pick out a few target deer, that way I do not limit myself as much.

It is about a challenge for me and the satisfaction of knowing I accomplished something that I set out to do, but even if I do not harvest the deer I am after, I am still pleased that I got to spend the time outdoors.

In 30+ years of bow and muzzleloading hunting, I can say it's achievable, but don't let tunnel vision and pride get in the way. I've shot better bucks than I targeted, and I have ate my tag. If you don't have him down in the first few outings, chances are it'll be another time, so move on to another buck or area.
Jeff Haugland/Iowa

I usually have a couple picked out that fit the bill.....but one I have never seen usually gets a smacking by one of my arrows

Back