Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taxi fix broken rack or not?

There has been some talk on fixing up broken racks at the taxidermist and that got me thinking...what are all your thoughts on fixing up a broken rack? Do you do it or not? Just would like to hear some opinions and some reasons as to why.

The guys at our last lease in WI used to go shoot bucks with muzzys that were all broken up and then have them fixed. Not sure how I feel about that...

As for myself, I have the option of fixing up a buck I shot this year...broken beam tip, partial broken G4, broken split brow tines on each side. I have the trail pics of what he looked like but I just don't feel it would truly be the buck I shot if I fix him up to what he was.

Last edited:
no fix here i want mine original when harvested. plus you never know exactly how much a tine was etc.. I've had racks given to me because of of broken tines,that just ticks me off- shoot the deer then decide they dont want it because of breakage just wrong in my opinion!

HE WAS WHAT HE WAS i FIXED ONE MYSELF iT TURNED OUT REALLY GOOD.DON'T REGRET DOING IT.DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO

There are two schools of thought. One is that he grew it, so fix it. The other is that he was shot without it, leave it as is. Only you can answer that question. I would probably fix it but make sure your taxi does a good job since a bad repair looks horrific.

It's a matter of personal taste really. I'm getting my buck (from this past December '12') fixed up this year. If I were to get my buck fixed, he'd break the 170's gross with only a 16 inch spread!. I know he'd didn't have all of his original head gear, when I shot him, and I know he won't go into the book listed in the 170's but he'll just look a lot better with the repairs (including a drop tine that was broken).

I think the key is to be fair as possible in regards to the amount of inches added. It easier on the conscious if you have some trail cam pics or some sheds off the buck that'll give you a better idea on where he was at. On my buck, I'll just have the taxi make the broken g4 as long as the other g4 on the other side. At the end of the day, you are the one that is paying for the mount and it's going on "your" wall. All that matter is your happy with it and you were at least fair about it.

Last edited:
It's a personal decision that each of us has to make, if we are good/lucky enough. No right or wrong answers. I want to show off my trophies to their very best so I have busted antlers fixed to show them at their finest, even on Euros. On the other hand, most scars from fighting etc. for the best part are part of their personality/charactor so they stay. Yet, this year's crossbow buck had a scarred up bad eye (prolly why I got a shot). That will not be included in the final mount as I feel it would distract from his overall appearance. As I said, very much a personal decision. I hate making decisions, but thank the Lord for the occasional opportunity to do so... :way:

I haven't had to make the decision. If I did I would not get it fixed. I want how it is when I took the deer.

If you know what it looked like prior to the break, i'd go ahead and do it. If you'd be guessing, that's up to you. But i agree with the person who said be conservative. I had a droptine replaced on a deer of mine that i had no prior history with, and don't get me wrong, it looks damn good. But, it always leaves you wondering a little.

If i had good enough trailcam pics that i could recreate almost exactly what it was, then i would maybe do it.. definately not if i didnt have any pics

I see only one answer. No one can answer that but the person considering it.

If I dropped a rack and broke it I would fix it. When I shoot a deer I get what it gets, one of my larger Muzzleload deer is all beat up. I love it, it adds character and makes him look tough

I shot a drop-tine buck years back that had the drop broke off when I shot him. The taxi did a real nice job recreating it from pics we had, but after I got it back, I wish I would have not had it repaired. Even though it looks great, I know it is 'fake' and it just bothers me when I look at it.

5846-602887_10200225263492637_1753748324_n.jpg

i shot this buck back in 2007 with bow and he was pretty busted up so i decided not to do a shoulder mount. I instead rebuilt the rack myself the best I could going off of the two trail camera pictures i had of him. It didn't turn out perfect but i'm glad i decided to go ahead and get him fixed the best i could

I had one of my uncles buddies take an 142 inch 18 point of my land 3 years ago. When he hit the ground he broke 4 points off right where he died. The guy had it fixed due to the fact that he shot it before they broke. It would all personally depend on the deer, the memories to get the deer, the history with the deer, etc... For the OP if you had substantial history with the deer then by all means remember it how you would like to remember it. Good luck and have a SAFE ending to the season.

Thanks for chiming in fellas.

I was just curious at getting an idea of how many people do and do not fix racks. Also was interested in the "why" and "why not".

For me personally, I have the opportunity to fix my rack from this year but that's not really what it's about to me. My thought is...he is what he is after I let my arrow fly and he hits the ground. I agree with some others on here that if he is broke up a bit it does show his true personality and character as a tough old buck. This is just my personal preference, as I do not have anything against anyone who does want to fix up their racks...I've known many who do so and they look great.

:way:Great post! Great replies! :way::way: And by the way....I would not!! He stays as he lays!!!!!!!!!:way::way:

I shot my buck this season on October 29th in Wisconsin with a bow. I just had him officially scored last night. As a ten point he netted out at 164 0/8, with a gross of 171 6/8. He has a broken left G4. If he had not broken the G4 he would have grossed 177 0/8, and netted 174 4/8 assuming that the broken tine matched. I have trail cam pics with the tine intact, and this rack had less than 1% deductions for asymmetry. Safe to say it would have been a few 1/8's difference max. I am not having the broken tine fixed. Many people want me to do it, but this is how he was when I shot him. To each his own, I am not going to tell anyone what to do in this case.

I shot my buck this season on October 29th in Wisconsin with a bow. I just had him officially scored last night. As a ten point he netted out at 164 0/8, with a gross of 171 6/8. He has a broken left G4. If he had not broken the G4 he would have grossed 177 0/8, and netted 174 4/8 assuming that the broken tine matched. I have trail cam pics with the tine intact, and this rack had less than 1% deductions for asymmetry. Safe to say it would have been a few 1/8's difference max. I am not having the broken tine fixed. Many people want me to do it, but this is how he was when I shot him. To each his own, I am not going to tell anyone what to do in this case.
Print a trailcam pic and hand it below the rack/mount.

I don't/won't have them fixed. I keep them as shot. Even with a pic, I think the busted tine proves that they were a warrior.

Plus, if a person is interested in "score", repairs are cheating by those rules.

Print a trailcam pic and hang it below the rack/mount.

I don't/won't have them fixed. I keep them as shot. Even with a pic, I think the busted tine proves that they were a warrior.

Plus, if a person is interested in "score", repairs are cheating by those rules.

Top Bottom