Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

taxidermy cost

iatreehugger

PMA Member
I live in southeast Iowa, and I was just curious what a person could expect to pay for a good quality deer mount. thanks.

For a deer mount that actually looks like a deer......$400-$450.........Never take anyone elses word for the quality of a taxidermist.....go, look , and see for yourself their quality of work.

I wish a good taxidermist was still in the $300-400 range, haven't seen those prices for at least 5 years. I'm fortunate to have the current world whitetail master div. champ near me along with 2 other top notch outfits. Prices vary from $450-675, it's getting kind of crazy and yet they have to turn work away and raise prices about $50 a year.
_IMG_24522.jpg

Due to high costs, unless I shoot a booner I've been opting for the European Skull mounts for the past 5 years.

Got a friend in WI who is a 9 time National taxi champ, she's since retired from the competition and is now a judge. When I shoot a booner, it'll cost around $??? (my price, she owes me for transporting her 2005 elk) to get it mounted. . Her work is completely unmatched...I pray I can give her some business someday.

She does a lot of work for the Milwaukee museum.

Thank you all for your input. I was just wondering what the price range was that someone could expect to pay. You have given me some good ball park figures to work with.

I'm lucky enough to have a dad who used to do taxidermy. We do ours ourselves....run's about $40 - $50 for forms/eyes/ears

I don't post much here, but read postings almost daily. Iowabruce offered the best advice given on the topic. Search around and look at the QUALITY of a given taxidermist work. There are $200 mounts out there, and $600+. It's just like anything you get what you pay for. I'm in NE Iowa, and get $400. I learned from the best deer guy around, Joe Meder. When it's all said and done, I've got almost 30 hrs. in a deerhead. For all the guys who cry about the high price of taxidermy work, I have to ask, how much do you get paid for 30 hours of work? Quality taxidermy work is something that few do well, and the truly talented people who produce quality work deserve the prices they ask. Every year I get price checkers who think a mount should cost them $150. Yet some of these same guys shoot $1000 slug guns/bows. It doesn't make sense to me that these clients balk on prices on a quality deerhead, when spending so much time, effort,and money chasing a "wallhanger". The AVERAGE deer hunter mounts only 1 or 2 deer in his/her lifetime. Why not shop around for quality first, and get the best job you can afford? Just my two cents on the topic. I wish you all a safe and successful season. After all, your success in the field today, ensures I've got a job tommorrow!

Top Bottom