Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taxidermy opinions

picture.php

This is the deer I harvested this bow season. This will be the first deer I have ever mounted. The deers right side tines are curved in a little bit, and I think that is super cool so I was thinking a left turn. Also I think he will look good with a full upright pose or a semi upright. Just looking for some opinions beings this is the first time I have done this. Thanks in advance!

Wouldn't do the full upright, I have never really seen one that looked that good. Go Semi-Upright if you are thinking of an upright mount, much more natural look. I think you got the left turn right. Congrats on a great deer by the way.

Kratz

Upright HDU getting my shotgun buck mounted, my first too. Are bucks kinda look the same Haha

I would never suggest an upright. I think it just doesn't look natural. Even looks like it was mounted in the 70s. I like the semi sneak or the full sneak with offset shoulder! Just my 2 cents!

My first mounted buck was an upright and is my least favorite pose of my mounts. I like the off-set semi's (upright or sneak) much better.

I'm getting my first one mounted right now. I went with the offset semi sneak.. I debated between the offset semi upright and offset semi sneak until I went to the taxidermists shop and looked at the mounts. Both great mounts but I like the semi sneak a bit more.

The buck in my profile pic is an upright. I did it this way because that's how he looked when I first spotted him coming in to my rattling. I wish I didn't do it. I just don't like it that much. Good taxidermy but terrible pose. My bowkill from this year will be done Monday. I will post pics. Very unique pose. It kinda looks like my antelope form with the right shoulder to the front and the head turned back to the right.

Given the characteristics of your bucks rack. I would go left turn semi-upright offset shoulder. I have had this done with a 16 wide tall ten and absolutely love the mount.

Here is the mount I was talking about. This pic was right after the cape was pinned on, so far from done but you get to see the form anyway. I can find out the name and manufacturer if you want. I really like this form and can't wait to get it home! I'm going to put it on a swivel arm mounted in a corner so you can turn it for different looks.

picture.php

I appreciate all the responses! Deer Nut that is a cool deer, and a great pose for his character. I did not realize semi sneak was still a higher standing head. I cannot wait to get my deer back! Thanks again everyone

Here is the mount I was talking about. This pic was right after the cape was pinned on, so far from done but you get to see the form anyway. I can find out the name and manufacturer if you want. I really like this form and can't wait to get it home! I'm going to put it on a swivel arm mounted in a corner so you can turn it for different looks.

picture.php

If you could get us a form number and manufacturer that'd be awesome! Love that form!

Also forgot to ask how high you plan to hang your mount. The taller it is the more upright it will appear depending on where you will view it. Just something to think about.

Also forgot to ask how high you plan to hang your mount. The taller it is the more upright it will appear depending on where you will view it. Just something to think about.

Around 6 foot in a 10 foot ceiling. I think I will be happy with it either way, because it was my first big one taken with a bow. BUT, I always over think things with my hunting :D

I too don't really like upright mounts. Look unnatural, old, and limits where you can hang it and still have room under them! I have a semi-sneak and full sneak, both left offset (showing more of deer's left shoulder) with head turned slightly left and ears back (not pinned back like aggressive, but not out to the side). Hanging together and they look pretty good to me. My brother has a semi-upright which looks good as well, but wishes he went with the semi or full sneak. Semi-upright would be the tallest I'd go. Part of the reason I went with left offset was because I was on the deer's left side when I shot them.

Also something to consider is where it will be mounted in the room...some people like it to be looking at least somewhat in the direction of where you enter. But that only works if you leave it in the same place and may not work if you ever move.

Top Bottom