Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taxidermy opinions

People here have given you great advice. Congrats, On a great deer.. I am in the same boat as everyone else. I would go with A semi sneak or semi upright. You could go with a pedestal of some kind as well. I encourage you do as much research as you can take. It can be a pretty overwhelming process but fun. Note that there will be variances in each of the companies forms for each position. They don't always have the same degree turn nor do they have the same facial features on the form. Each of the companies forms were sculpted by different person.. who had a certain idea in how they think a deer should look.. It's an art form and therefore, you will have a lot differences in how each form looks. Also, Keep in mind that semi uprights help ad "height" to a rack. It gives off kind of tall, majestic look.. You can't go wrong with Semi sneaks either. Though again, I encourage you to compare each of the companies semi sneaks and note the differences between the forms.

I encourage you to maybe give us what you are looking for in a mount. Whether you want in to present a certain 'attitude' or you want to capture the look it gave you before you harvested it. The forms (companies) all have there plus and minuses.. They are half of what makes a good mount.. The other half is the taxidermist. Now, I don't know for sure whether you are going to mount this yourself or having someone else do it. I encourage you to pick a taxidermist that you are impressed by their work if you are having someone else do it. Once it's mounted.. that's it! You are stuck with the finish product. Also, don't be afraid to offer input in the kind of materials used for your mount. After all, it is your mount. Customer approval should be the goal of every taxidermist. Or at least, one worth having..

Don't be afraid to reply and offer what you are thinking. I want you to be satisfied with your mount for many years to come..

Last edited:
I wouldn't rush the decision. Most taxidermists have several forms laying around. I would set the rack on each form and then decide. I've got several, and believe me you CAN over think it. Get them home and always wrong turn. Nice buck by the way, sweet brows. IMO full sneak needs to be used with narrow racks only. Semi upright with turn my favorite, though that mount pictured earlier in thread with full turn looks sweet.

People here have given you great advice. Congrats, On a great deer.. I am in the same boat as everyone else. I would go with A semi sneak or semi upright. You could go with a pedestal of some kind as well. I encourage you do as much research as you can take. It can be a pretty overwhelming process but fun. Note that there will be variances in each of the companies forms for each position. They don't always have the same degree turn nor do they have the same facial features on the form. Each of the companies forms were sculpted by different person.. who had a certain idea in how they think a deer should look.. It's an art form and therefore, you will have a lot differences in how each form looks. Also, Keep in mind that semi uprights help ad "height" to a rack. It gives off kind of tall, majestic look.. You can't go wrong with Semi sneaks either. Though again, I encourage you to compare each of the companies semi sneaks and note the differences between the forms.

I encourage you to maybe give us what you are looking for in a mount. Whether you want in to present a certain 'attitude' or you want to capture the look it gave you before you harvested it. The forms (companies) all have there plus and minuses.. They are half of what makes a good mount.. The other half is the taxidermist. Now, I don't know for sure whether you are going to mount this yourself or having someone else do it. I encourage you to pick a taxidermist that you are impressed by their work if you are having someone else do it. Once it's mounted.. that's it! You are stuck with the finish product. Also, don't be afraid to offer input in the kind of materials used for your mount. After all, it is your mount. Customer approval should be the goal of every taxidermist. Or at least, one worth having..

Don't be afraid to reply and offer what you are thinking. I want you to be satisfied with your mount for many years to come..

I really do appreciate all the input from you guys! As a young man, I still need to figure out all the ins and outs and you guys just make that easy for me, and I cant thank you enough!

I am going for a "buck puffed up coming into the rattle". This was a pre rut buck and he came into the rattle. It was the coolest thing :D I have seen some deer that Rocky Scovel did, he is out of Indianola. That is where I will be taking my deer. I think a semi sneak will look the best honestly, with a left turn. I love the curved tines on his right side. I will for sure be doing some comparing when I get there! I want my first big one the best one (at least for my memory, I wanna kill the biggins).

As for a place to hang it. My family owns a small farm with a 30x90 building. We built a man cave in there a few years ago ( which is sweet). I plan on hanging it in there. I have a turkey fan and beard in there from the 2013 season, and I will hang the deer right above it. I can post a picture of my idea if that would help you out! Thank you again!

I really do appreciate all the input from you guys! As a young man, I still need to figure out all the ins and outs and you guys just make that easy for me, and I cant thank you enough!

I am going for a "buck puffed up coming into the rattle". This was a pre rut buck and he came into the rattle. It was the coolest thing :D I have seen some deer that Rocky Scovel did, he is out of Indianola. That is where I will be taking my deer. I think a semi sneak will look the best honestly, with a left turn. I love the curved tines on his right side. I will for sure be doing some comparing when I get there! I want my first big one the best one (at least for my memory, I wanna kill the biggins).

As for a place to hang it. My family owns a small farm with a 30x90 building. We built a man cave in there a few years ago ( which is sweet). I plan on hanging it in there. I have a turkey fan and beard in there from the 2013 season, and I will hang the deer right above it. I can post a picture of my idea if that would help you out! Thank you again!

Yeah, go ahead and post your idea. I have a few ideas for forms but I want to know for sure what pose you are talking about. So, post a picture of a buck doing what you want for a look.. I know taxidermist can pump air into a form ( I think) that can give it a swell or you can also buy forms already with a swell to them.. Also, is the place you want to have your mount well ventilated?

I got last years buck in semi sneak with a right turn. This years will be semi sneak with a left turn. It's become my favorite pose!

You can't pump air into a form. You have to get the correct size and alter to fit, but you can make a deer much bigger than it originally was or your gonna have problems. Here is one that's puffed up I put together for a customer. Never got another pic before he came and got it, but here it is the day I mounted it.

Nice work Jason! That thing's awesome! Looks like you really captured the "I'm gonna kick some butt" attitude. Curious though; do you have to constantly groom the hair while the cape dries?

Thanks, yea have to get the hair positioned right then backbrush and blow with a air compressor and blow dryer to get the hair dry and fluffy. Then just backbrush and use a hair dryer daily till it's dry. Kind of a pain lol. People either like them or hate them.

The buck in my profile pic is an upright. I did it this way because that's how he looked when I first spotted him coming in to my rattling. I wish I didn't do it. I just don't like it that much. Good taxidermy but terrible pose. My bowkill from this year will be done Monday. I will post pics. Very unique pose. It kinda looks like my antelope form with the right shoulder to the front and the head turned back to the right.

dIDDO here

Top Bottom